1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved can anyone help me get an old xp windows laptop online?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kahikokane, Nov 1, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. kahikokane

kahikokane Thread Starter

can anyone help me get an old xp windows laptop online?
    computer is in great shape but over 10 years old, or about 10...a dell inspiron 6000

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are lots of folks here who can help with networking. Some of us, including me, are not interested in playing "20 questions" when no information is given about the situation or problem(s).

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop is more than 14 years old.
    Its support site still has Windows XP drivers for its primary devices(chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet, etc.).

Is yours still functional and still able to load Windows XP?
    If you've had it for more than 10 years, why are you having a problem now with getting it on-line?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4. kahikokane

Thanks Johnny and Terry for your quick replies! Awesome. I just talked to a reliable tech guy who say it's impossible basically. It's a Dell Inspiron 600 made in 2005. With the archaic XP and considering the new SSI? certificates and dual core advances? etc, he said there were several reasons this heavy Dell, with real steel components--they used them on Star Trek Voyager series, will never be very compatible with today's tech. He said something about I would/might be able to access some unencrypted sites which apparently are few and far between. 2005 yikes where did that almost 15 years go?

5. kahikokane

I had a 2nd DEll Inspiron 6000, "the best old school laptop ever made," that my brother set up for me with Linux. It worked great for quite some time, but issues were hard to correct over the phone with him coaching me. Finally, the grub loader or something would never work and either he got frustrated trying to help me or it was too hard to fix over the phone, but it was something so bad the Dell sits in a closet.

6. kahikokane

Specifically, and it'd be great if there's some veritable Linux pro out there cuz here's what I get on that Dell Inspiron 6000 (made in 2005!) that had been running Linux for a couple years:

error: file not found.
    grub rescue> _ (the preceding underscore is flashing of course)

7. kahikokane

thnx, so I would download Xenial on to USB, and I choose it to reboot from that?

8. kahikokane

thanks, that's the one thing I've been able to do: change boot order, so I should be able to put usb with old man Rufus in the first choice by selecting it. But will this solve all my problems? Then it will boot up and take me to my old Ubuntu desktop?

9. kahikokane

yikes but when I'm about to download Rufus it asks for me to choose: NonBootable, FreeDOS....too late, I chose FreeDOS...then I'm having it boot right now from the USB with my new minted Rufus version and I'm getting the message:

FreeDOS kernal and copyright info and finally
    a

C:\>_ (flashing underscore, what do I enter here? ) thanks so much!

10. kahikokane

yikes but when I'm about to download Rufus it asks for me to choose: NonBootable, FreeDOS....too late, I chose FreeDOS...then I'm having it boot right now from the USB with my new minted Rufus version and I'm getting the message:

FreeDOS kernal and copyright info and finally
    a

C:\>_ (flashing underscore, what do I enter here? ) thanks so much!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice