1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can anyone help me? weird problem..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by foxmag86, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foxmag86

foxmag86 Thread Starter

The past few weeks I have been getting an error on my computer that I have no idea how to fix. Here's what happens:
    I sign on to my user account, and when I try to open a program, say internet explorer, a dialog box pops up. The header of the box says "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library". And the dialogue inside the box reads:

"Run Time Error
    Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the applications support team for more information."

So nothing opens and I eventually just restart my computer and then everything works. It seems to happen when another user is still signed onto the computer (hasn't completely logged off). But like I said, once the computer is restarted, the programs open up. I've tried the Scan Disk, virus scans, Ad-Aware scans, everything i could think of and nothing helps. Does anybody have any suggestions?

here is my computer information:

Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Hewlett-Packard
    Pavilion
    AMD Athlom(tm) 64 Processor
    3300+
    1.81 GHz, 448 MB of RAM

Thanks!

2. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

do you have the Google toolbar installed?

3. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

1. Click on "Tools" > "Internet Options" > "Advanced."
    2. Check the box entitled "Disable script debugging."
    3. Uncheck the box entitled "Display a notification about every script error."
    4. Click "OK."

Close all Internet Explorer windows and launch a new window so that this change can take effect.

4. valis

valis Moderator

tape, what are you doing up this late? Another late name gaming bender? ;)

Good to see you buddy, out of here in about 10 myself. Sorry for the hijack, foxmag, hadn't seen this cat in a few.

v

5. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

hey buddy, yep, been a few. Good to know your still walking! Cya around.

6. foxmag86

foxmag86 Thread Starter

no i do not have the google toolbar installed The "Disable script debugging" was already checked and the "Display a notification about every script error" was already unchecked. I still have the problem? any other suggestions?

7. jahmom2

jahmom2

I am having the same problem but it is only on the other login screens. When I am in mine, IE works fine but when I switch users to another account, IE will not open and I get the same message. I did a system restore to a point where it wasn't happening and I think I've determined it occurs just after I am asked to install Active X control on the Windows Update screen. After that is when IE wouldn't work on the other user accounts. HELP!!

8. valis

valis Moderator

rebuild their profiles. Copy all their import stuff (my docs, pics, etc) and then delete the profile and have them log back in. Windows will then rebuild the profile, and you just add what you took out.

9. jahmom2

jahmom2

Thanks, I already tried that and it didn't work. I still think it is related somehow to active x control intallation.

10. valis

valis Moderator

are the other users set as admins or power users? If power users, switch them to admins and try again.

11. jahmom2

jahmom2

They are all set as admins. I am using XP Home, btw.

12. valis

valis Moderator

just noticed that this is a dead thread. You may want to start your own thread so others can see it, as opposed to piggybacking on a thread that has already died. Check your eventvwr.msc (start > run > eventvwr.msc) and report any red exclamtion points that have to do with your IE. But again, enter that info into a new thread started by you. You iwll get a LOT more help that way.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!