1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can anyone help me with win32:zlob trojan

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by djglich, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djglich

djglich Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and completely useless when it comes to computers so please go easy on me lol :)

I preformed a Full System scan using Avast! free anti-virus software. After just over an hour it finished and returned 1 problem.

The result of the scan was:

1 Threat Found:
    Severity: HIGH
    File Name: D:RECYCLER\S-8-7-16-100011754-100022095-100032514-5346.com
    Threat: Win32:Zlob-CVK[Trj]

I've had a choice of either putting it in like a 'quarantinine' or I could delete it, so I deleted it.

Is that what I should of done, or should I of left it in quarantine for some reason? (Qu1)

After I deleted it from Avast!, I restarted my computer, and ran another full scan and that said it had gone and there was nothing at all been found.

But I went to look at D:/RECYCLER... and the folder titled 'RECYCLER' was still the. For some reason since this was found, niether C: or D: drive folders have a document size in the 'Size' column, which is odd. I did though hover over it and it says there are '0 bytes' in it. But im too scared to do anything with it because I've read loads of stuff about these 'win32:zlob-zvk[trj]' things such as by deleting a folder or something can make start duplicating etc. So should I delete the apparantly empty D:\RECYCLER FOLDER? (Qu2)

I'm really scared though now because, like i've said, I know nothing about computers and i'm really worried that this has left something behind which can monitor what i'm doing, like my credit card info etc. Is that possible and how would I know about it or how to find it? (Qu3)

I'm also worried because I have no idea how I got it. I haven't downloaded anything before, only updated i get from Windows, Java, etc. And i dont ever allow AtiveX downloads from sites, even if its a trusted site. So how as it got on my system then? (Qu4)

Also, I tried researching a bit about my particular threat, but when I searched Google for
    'win32:zlob-zvk[trj]', there were loads of different variations of the 'win32:zlob-zvk[trj]' trojan. I mean some were 'win32:' or 'win32.' or 'win32/' and some changed the zlob bit like 'zlob:' or 'zlob/' etc, not to mention the letters at the end too, or [trj] part. It was all extremely confusing form me, even just writing them out here is confusing lol. I had looked for well over 2 hours, but couldn't find my exact one. Why is this? Qu(5)

Finally, can anyone tell me what the function of this actually is? (Qu6)

So my questions really are:

1: Should I of deleted it or left it in quarantine?
    2: Should I delete the apparantly empty D:\RECYCLER folder?
    3: Could this have left something behind like a 'Key Logger'?
    4: How did this get on my system in the first place?
    5: Why couldn't I find anything about my exact win32:zlob-zvk[trj] trojan?
    6: What was/is the exact purpose/function of it?

I can't tell you how much I would appreciate you answering my questions because it will not only enlighted me a little abou them, but also hopefully put my mind at rest.

Thanks very much,

Djglich

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice