1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can anyone help with a power on password?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nexus 66, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nexus 66

nexus 66 Thread Starter

i have just started using a computer of mine which hasnt been used in while when i powered it up it comes up with a black screen with a blue box in the middle asking for a
    "power-on password" i have never set a password on this system and as such have no idea what it is. ive researched this problem myself and have tried removing the battery which hasnt worked. there may be jumpers but i cant find any. in my actual computer this is a small yellow button which says CMOS by it pressing it appears to do nothing. any ideas?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is this a laptop or desktop?

3. nexus 66

nexus 66 Thread Starter

its on my hp d530 sff desktop

4. bigbear

bigbear

Try resetting the cmos.
    Power down and open up the side panel, look for a small round battery nearby should be three pins with a jumper on pins 1&2.
    Remove jumper and place on pins 2&3 for about 30 secs, then replace back to pins 1&2.
    This will reset the bios to system factory defaults

5. nexus 66

nexus 66 Thread Starter

i think ive found the jumper but there are only 2 pins

6. bigbear

bigbear

Just remove the battery for the same time instead

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The clear jumper should have three pins; check your manual. If you just remove the battery, you need to leave it out for a while. At least 30min or longer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice