1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can anyone recommend...photo editing software

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by pfunk_40, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfunk_40

pfunk_40 Thread Starter

hi everyone,
    can anybody recommend a FREE digital photo editing program that works pretty well and is minimally invasive on my computer. i just removed adobe photo album starter addition (not photoshop) it is the free one that comes with acrobat reader when you download that. i just didn't like it.

i was thinking about picasa, or the one from kodak that you get when you get your digital pics back... but i've heard that that one is kind of like spyware because they developed it to use online to "share" your photos. when you use it, does it automatically "phone home" to the mother-ship and store a copy.

any suggestions that you could give me... what you like about the program , what you don't like about the program, any tips...

thank you.

2. slipe

slipe

PhotoPlus 6 is an older version of Serif’s image editor they are giving away. It has a lot more capabilities than EasyShare or Picasa as far as image editing. http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

EasyShare doesn’t phone home unless you set up an online account. I don’t much like it though. Picasa is fine if you just want to make simple adjustments, but it doesn't have basic tools like layers, clone tool etc.

Gimp for Windows is the best freeware image editor but it isn't easy to learn.

3. pfunk_40

pfunk_40 Thread Starter

do you have a trusted link where i could download the GIMP? someone else told me that the gimp was good too, but they said it was a pain in the *** because it constantly asks you to upgrade or update... do you know this to be true?

4. Hughv

Hughv

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Depends on what you mean by “Photo Editing”
    A very popular Image Viewer and Editor here at TSG is the freeware Irfanview…. http://www.irfanview.com/

This is a small and very fast Image Viewer that makes a very good system default replacement for M$ Image n Fax viewer.
    But don’t let it’s small size fool you…. It can also do many of the everyday Image Editing chores such as Cropping, Resizing .. and a whole lot more.

Irfanview is NOT an Image Organizer or Browser like the other programs you mentioned … which might fulfill your requirements of minimally invasive.

Even though I have Photoshop as my High powered Image editor … Irfanview is my System default Image viewer and editor because of it’s speed and it does most of my simple editing and printing chores … Fast.

If I need more editing power, Then I use another Image editing program and wait on it to startup.

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

Actually Irfanview has a decent browser built in...

click file then thumbnails... there are quite a few options after that...

buck

7. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Download the GTK 2.8.18 first..and then the GIMP 2.2.12 next and I've NEVER seen any update or upgrade nagging either..
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=121075

and Vicmans has some nice effects to
    http://www.soft32.com/download_10338.html

and version 2.64 on Paint.net has some features you might like
    http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

and another goodie is Image Analyzer - Top one on the left panal there.
    http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

True …
    But Irfanview’s Thumbnail browser is more of a simple extension/enhancement to the Windows Browser/Thumbnail functions …
    and can be handy to view the thumbnails of some Images that Windows can’t display … or display at a larger size.

It’s not like Kodak Easy Share and some Adobe products .. etc .. that try to tell you how to organize your photos in an effort to get you committed/addicted to their program.

The problem with the fancy Organizers -
    One hiccup with the program/operator can result in operator confusion or lost/misplaced photos, like many of the posts we see here.
    As I see it ... The problem with Browsers/Organizers features ... Is the wording Organize.

I might be wrong, but I think that 100% of the suggested fixes to the Kodak Easy Share problems posted here (that I've seen) …
    Is to Remove it.. and replace it with something simple like Irfanview.

Also ... Irfanview can be setup so that with a couple of Clicks ...
    It can open the image in an Enhanced Editor such as Photoshop or Gimp - should you need More Editing Power.

To start with … I’d suggest just installing the ~900k Irfanview program … don’t let it’s small size fool you.
    You probably don’t need to install the All Plugins ... Till you know if/why you need them.
    It also doesn’t try to “call home”… or nag at you … and is a clean install … un-install

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

Hi again Noyb

you are confusing me now...

kind of sounds like you are contradicting yourself

why did you say it's "NOT an Image Organizer or Browser"

buck

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Maybe I should have said just Organizer ... Sorry.
    As far as I know … All programs can Browse to find a file ... if you want to work that way.

Let me refer to …. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#20 … topics 20 > 22

There are ….
    20: Viewers that can basically Edit ….
    21: Editors that may not be Good/Fast Viewers …
    22: and Organizers/Browsers that can View and basically Edit.

The key word is Organizer.
    As far as I know … I can’t run Picasa .. I tried installing it once …
    and it wanted to scan my Entire computer to find the images before it would let me use it.

If I’d let it run … It would’ve found two of everything since I have an online Backup drive.
    I also don’t need to scan the duplicate Embroidery bmps that I use when digitizing … etc …
    I know where I put my images and how to get to them … I don’t need an Organizer taking control and confusing me.

11. pfunk_40

pfunk_40 Thread Starter

first of all, thank you to everyone who has responded to this post... i love having as much information as possible before i install a program that i may not potentially like.

NOYB, you seem to be on the same page as me as far as being able to control what you want to do and how to organize your files/photos. i HATE when a program tries to tell you how to organize your stuff. i know where i put them and i know how to get them... it doesn't sound like i'll be using picassa either.

i currently only have the basics installed (MS image and fax viewer opens pics by default until i install another program... and to be honest, i don't mind that program to simply view my photos -its fast and simple) But the problem is when i want to "edit" something, and when i say edit, i have the most basic editing needs. i am not a professional photographer, just a guy who might want to crop something out of a photo or resize it to use it on a publisher document or send it via e-mail. AND I HATE THAT WHEN I RIGHT CLICK TO EDIT A PHOTO, IT AUTOMATICALLY OPENS WITH MS PAINT. even on my sister's computer, where she has some other photo software installed that came free with her camera , you still have to manually open that program to edit. if you right click and them select edit, it still opens m$ paint...IS THERE ANY WAY TO CORRECT THAT?

12. pfunk_40

pfunk_40 Thread Starter

sorry about the long winded post... i went off on a tangent.

any feedback about "ARCSOFT SOFTWARE" i believe it is a free program that comes with some cameras?

13. buck52

buck52 Banned

Get rid of it...

14. slipe

slipe

If you are talking about reducing the size of a picture by cutting out a rectangular crop to remove unwanted objects, any program mentioned can do that.

But if you are referring to removing distracting objects like a pole that seems to be growing from someone’s head, telephone poles and wires from scenery, blemishes etc you need an image editor.

Picasa, EasyShare and Irfanview are not image editors. There are a myriad of things you can do with a real image editor you can’t do with a viewer/organizer. Gimp is the most powerful free image editor but you might not want to go through the steep learning curve if you don’t want to do advanced editing. This might be a compromise between power and ease of use: http://www.getpaint.net/index.html I think you would be happiest with PhotoPlus 6 though.

Right click and “Open With”. Select “Choose Program” and check the box to always open this file type with the selected program. Choose whatever you want to edit in and the file will always open with that program when you left click.

If you want separate programs for editing and viewing right click, Open With and click on the program you want to edit in.

Tweakui is one of the free Windows Power Toys you can download free from Microsoft. There is a lot of editing capability for the right click menu and you might be able to use that to change the program that opens when you right click and select Edit. Otherwise I think it would be a registry tweak.

15. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

If you download say any of the 4 Links I gave you, then your puter will automatically add it to the drop down menu when you right click on the picture your working on, so from then on you'll have more then MSPaint to choose from. I assume you only had mspaint to begin with which is probably why it only opened up on Paint..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485227

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice