1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can anyone tell me why?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by howard.a.s, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. howard.a.s

howard.a.s Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I have a few pre-built sites that I want to upload to my hosting account.

I have uploaded one, here:

http://www.vision4success.110mb.com/aromatherapy

which, although appearing to have some problems with text overflowing buttons etc. that I don't know how to fix, actually, otherwise appears to function.

I have tried uploading the other sites, but, as in the next example, they all seem to suffer the same problem, in as much as all I see is the header and sidebar, but no main content.

http://www.vision4success.110mb.com/auto-sound

I am certain that all the files FTP correctly to my hosting space, and that I have set permissions correctly in cgi-bin to 755 and in config.php to 666 as instructed.

Can anyone here tell me why my page content fails to display, and, more importantly how I should correct it, if it can be corrected.

Incidentally, these sites use what I am told is 'virtual hosting' and so I am not sure whether more than one can be placed in the same host account?

Any help and advice gratefully received.

2. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

How is the content being put into the file (server-side include or are you just writing it in the HTML)? Because the second example there is no content in there to display. FYI virtual hosting is where one machine hosts more than one domain.

3. howard.a.s

Thanks for the response.

I must point out that I know a limited amount about html and css, but nothing about php, so any help you offer must be simple to follow.

What I can say, is that when FTP'ing the files for this site to my host account, the files within the includes/articles folder will not transfer. These are files with a .txt extension. There are about 7 of them for this site.

Despite all my best efforts they just will not transfer. I have even tried individually dragging them over into their folder on the remote server, but the message I get every time I try is that the transfer failed.

this happens when I try to transfer other sites of the same batch too. Are .txt files supposed to be on the server, or should they be converted to .html files?

Can you tell me why I may be having this problem?

4. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

There's no reason why .txt files shouldn't transfer. What uploader are you using and have you tried using a different one like www.net2ftp.com or Filezilla?

You could try renaming them with a .html or .htm file extension to see if that works. If so, you can them rename them on the remote server back to .txt files.

5. howard.a.s

I'm currently using Smart FTP, but also have NCH Classic and Filezilla, although can't say that I've actually used Filezilla much, so not really familiar with it. Mind you, I suppose it's fairly like all the others. I mainly use Smart FTP as it allows me to CHMOD, where the NCH version doesn't seem to have this option.

I really can't understand why the articles .txt files don't transfer. They obviously transferred ok for the Aromatherapy site, but for all the other sites I've tried I always get this same error.

Incidentally, I transferred some similar sites using FTP a while ago, and they also had an includes, or inc folder. Inside the inc folder were files containing mainly text information, together with things like my adsense I.D details. However, these files had a .ini extension. Just wondered if that's why they were accepted and these more recent versions aren't.

Mind you, if the site is designed to run with these tcurrently roublesome files having a .txt extension, then any alteration I may make in order to get them to transfer would have to be unaltered after successful transfer, so that the files once again have their .txt extension. Otherwise, I presume that they wouldn't be recognised by the rest of the site.

Another question. As I know virtually zero about php, when it comes to the text used on navigation buttons down the side of the page overflowing onto two lines, as seems to be the case with some of the buttons on the Aromatherapy site (which makes it look untidy), can I just locate the relevant file, download and change its text using notepad and then just upload it again. Or, is it more involved than that? Something tells me that finding the relevant file may be a lengthy task all in itself!

Oh, and something else. These sites have Google Adsense units, and also should have Amazon Ads. The Google ads seem to display ok, but where the Amazon ads should appear I just seem to see text that saying that the ad cannot load. Can you suggest why this might be?

Any more assistance gratefully received.

6. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

It shouldn't be too hard to find the correct file, depending on how it's included in the file. You need to look for include "file.txt"; or require "file.txt"; or possibly require_once "file.txt";. Those are the standard ways of including a file and obviously "file.txt" is the file name you need.

The .txt problem is very odd, as it shouldn't matter what file extension a file has to be uploaded. On one of my sites I regularly update a .txt file. Did you try the web-based FTP client (www.net2ftp.com)?

And finally for the Amazon adverts I'd recommend contacting Amazon about it, because it has to be something to do with the remote-server communication (this could be the code on your server or difficulties on their server, but it's hard to tell). I couldn't find anything on the internet about the problem, not even with the almighty Google! :eek:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice