1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can bad computer circuits affect USB internet performance?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by grinder3011, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grinder3011

grinder3011 Thread Starter

Hi, I am having this issue I have been wondering about for quite some time and finally decided to ask around and see if I can get some constructive answers to my issues.

I used to have a laptop which I used for doing my internet surfing and it was a good computer like 1,8 dual core procesor with 2G + RAM (approximate info). When I first acquired the USB modem which captures the signal from a mobile phone provider that offers the internet service I didn't have many problems with it. After a while my USB port on the laptop started having problems and as I remember also my internet performance dropped and I had many automatic disconnections or network dropouts. That laptop died a few months ago (actually just needs some repair, but didn't bother sending it to repair) and currently I am using an old desktop computer with a 1,3 AMD duron processor and 993 RAM.

Her is my actual question, that was just to fill in the details for the upcoming question...Could it be that my internet is constantly disconnecting because of bad computer circuits (first the bad USB port on the laptop and now an 8 years + old computer whos circuits could easily be ruined by time or other factors)?

Now this is just an educated guess and am trying to get an oppinion from someone who has more knowledge and info about these things, since the USB modem sometimes literally drives me crazy because of the poor performance and am unsure if it is ITS fault or the computer/s on which I used it or am using it .

Would appriciate any answers that can help me solve this dilema, ty in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    USB Wi-Fi adapters draw the maximum current provided by a USB port. Essentially no room for error, so if the adapter draws a little extra or the port is not supplying quite enough it may even lose power completely and then come back on. That happened to me with one adapter and several different USB ports.

Since mobile wireless modems are also radios, I'm guessing that they may also be drawing maximum power, with the above possibilities.

But unless your modem is actually losing power (maybe a LED to indicate, or the "USB device has disconnected" sound) I don't know how to tell if your problems are power related.

3. grinder3011

grinder3011 Thread Starter

Well about the indicators, they are constantly flashing in the way to indicate the connection is poor (sometimes literally all day long, sometimes simply just very often to be annoying and makes you unable to dfo any actual internet based work).

Your first statement from your reply somehow indicates towards my thinking, but I am not very familiar how much can actually be of disturbance to a radio signal a momentary power scarcity caused by bad wires and that's why I am trying to get info from someone who is a bit more informed about this. I am currently trying to run my website, but this issue drags my work like twice or 3 times as it should actually take to finish it.

If I managed to find out that it's not the modem but bad computer circuits and wiring what causes my internet related issues, then I could actually do something about it, because as far as the modem goes, the company that issued it to me says that there is nothing they can do from their part in order to improve it's performance to guarantee me better online experience.

Any more profound knowledge and info about this would be highly appriciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice