1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can both computers share Cricket connection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TinaSabrina, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TinaSabrina

TinaSabrina Thread Starter

First of all, hello to all and thanks for having this site to help people.

I have glanced around trying to see if my Q has already been answered but am finding myself so technologically challenged (dumb maybe! :eek: ) that I don't even understand a lot of the terms being used. So here is my question if anyone can help.

I have Cricket Internet. With this company you buy the little plug-in broadband modem. They want $120+ per modem (although some of their advertisement deceitfully implies you can get a new modem for $34- when I went to buy another one for the second computer we've gotten the guy said "Oh no, it's $120+ for the modem and thirty-four dollars per month to use it." :mad:)
    So anyway, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can have both my computers sharing the Cricket connection while only having one plug-in modem? Somebody said something about a router . . . . .and then it was all Greek to me. We actually have 2 desktops and one old laptop, (almost forgot about it), and ideally I would like to have them all on the Cricket Internet without the expense of buying 2 more modems and having the additional $34 x 2 added to my monthly bill.

Thanks in advance for any help. ;)

2. avisitor

avisitor

Look at CradlePoint for a really tiny USB modem router.

The Kyocera KR2 is also nice.

3. cgullett

cgullett

There are a couple of things you can do. Granted I'm sure you are aware of the speed you will be connecting at. Anyways on to the good stuff. They make a wireless router that you can plug your card into and it will broadcast a wireless signal and you would just connect to the wireless signal like you normally would. The second is inexpensive but requires a little computer knowledge. You would set up an ad-hoc network with Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).. Your second pc would connect to the pc with the broadband card, and use its internet connection to get out. The speeds are a little reduced, but you are connecting over a mobile card so you already know this :) . Let me know if you would like any help with setting up the ICS.....

Caleb

4. TinaSabrina

Okay thanks Avisitor, that sounds like a good start. How many do I have to buy if I have a grand total of 3 computers in the house?

Thanks again.

5. avisitor

avisitor

You'd only need one of the routers.

Look at what CradlePoint has to offer and see what fits your needs.

6. TinaSabrina

Hmmm, okay. . . . . when you say 'card' are you referring to the Cricket modem or what exactly?

7. ShelterTech

ShelterTech

I'm hoping for a report from somebody who's actually using Cricket 3G through a router. If my current ISP flakes out, my two choices are AT&T 3g at $100/mo or Cricket 3G at $40/mo. Sharing among multiple computers wirelessly is a must, though all are low-demand (no music, no video, etc.). Cricket's "official" stance is that their broadband is for one computer only and I'm wondering if they have thrown up some obstacles we'll need to get over. Information like I've seen in this topic is hard to come by. Thanks for addressing the question.

8. avisitor

avisitor

There's absolutely no reason why you couldn't use one of those routers for any mobile broadband.

ATT's is only $60, though ;)

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

10. ShelterTech

ShelterTech

This forum is a little confusing, it's not apparent who the posts are intended for.

I don't have Cricket or AT&T service - I may have to choose one if my current provider goes out of business, which is quite possible. The AT&T route is clear, but I'd rather not pay $100/mo. If the $40/mo Cricket service will do the job, that would be nice. Activation and return fees prevent testing it at this point.

The UTStarcom UM100 modem would be the one, but I'm looking at the possibility that "compatible" from the viewpoint of the router maker is not the same as "usable" from the viewpoint of Cricket. If it will work (without getting shut down by Cricket) then the MBR1000 looks like a good plan.

Edit to add: AT&T has lowered their prices. What's $60/mo now was $100 a month ago. Looking better!

11. avisitor

avisitor

It's more actual compatibility with the modem hardware than software. Most of these are just a PPP connection dialer.

You can try VZW's for 30 days if you'd like to see if it'll work for you. It's $60/mo with 30 day return policy.

That's why we ask that you start your own thread for a problem instead of hijacking another.

12. ShelterTech

ShelterTech

Sorry, I thought I was continuing the existing discussion. Didn't intend to hijack one.

13. avisitor

avisitor

No sweat, don't worry about it. Generally, we like to keep it one problem per thread so we can best follow the comments.

Did you require any further assistance?

14. ShelterTech

ShelterTech

I'm still hoping to hear from somebody who's actually used a router with the Cricket 3G service, but I should probably start a new thread. Thanks.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please do. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/782276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice