1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can browse web but cannot connect to a lot of programs incl games (strange!)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jamjar10, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamjar10

jamjar10 Thread Starter

Hey I hope you can help me!
    Ive recently bought a new PC in the last 7 days and straight away I noticed I could not connect to my beloved World of Warcraft with the cannot connect error. Later on in the evening I was randomly able to connect and play the game. I assumed that was that. The next day in the afternoon I could once again not connect to the game and nothing I did helped. Naturally I assumed this was a problem with this particular game but I was left horrified when the issue extended to all online games that I have tried (Halo 2, Warhammer Online). Strangely It started to work again that evening. The day after that it didn't work in the day but after 9pm I once again found I could connect.

I have looked everywhere on the internet for a solution but am yet to find any :confused:
    While all this has been going on Ive been able to connect to and browse the internet flawlessly with google chrome as well as connect to Windows Live Messenger and Microsoft Outlook. This is no longer a game only problem now as I have found 'xfire' cannot log me in during these periods and I was also denied a download from a driver website an hour ago. It behaved as if I was not connected to the internet. This is also no longer a daytime problem only as last night and this evening I have been unable to connect to any games and it is past midnight.

I use Zone Alarm security suite and I have tried disabling this and windows firewall to no avail.
    I am running Windows 7 64 bit
    I am connecting via realtek rtl8190 wireless LAN pci card (mini)
    If you need any additional information please ask! :(

Thank you in advance ;)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd try connecting directly to the modem and bypassing the router to see if this is a router or other issue. I'd also try booting in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that has an effect.

What's the exact make and model of the modem and the router?

3. jamjar10

jamjar10 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. :)
    I tried booting into safe mode with networking but still had the same issues.
    I am using a 'BTHomeHub2' and I tried connecting directly into it via ethernet. This solved the problem and everything worked just fine. However my desktop and workspace is located far from the router so this is certainly not a permanent solution. This means it must be a problem with my rtl8190 wireless LAN pci card. I have the latest driver installed, any suggestions what is wrong with it to cause it to behave like this? :confused:

4. JohnWill

Well, now let's try to figure out what's going on in your wireless environment. Take the machine back to the problem location and run this diagnostic.

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

5. dave0700

dave0700

check the firewall on your router, try it with firewall off, it it works, you will need to configure the router firewall

6. jamjar10

jamjar10 Thread Starter

Thanks again for the response (y)

Attached Files:

7. jamjar10

jamjar10 Thread Starter

Other PCs in the house are connecting perfectly fine, I assume that means it can't be a problem with the router's firewall? The PC I was using before this one only a week ago had never experienced these problems.

8. JohnWill

Everybody and their brother are using channel 11! Try switching to channel 1 on the router and see how that works.

9. jamjar10

jamjar10 Thread Starter

I changed the channel and it has still not fixed my problem! :(
    It was in fact on automatic, it changed channels by itself to get the best channel. When I changed it so it was only on channel 1 it sorta induced it to work for about 30 seconds, I could connect to xfire and everything, then my wifi indicator went to connected with no internet access and then when it reconnected after that xfire could not connect (would try world of warcraft but servers are down today anyway)

What could the problem possibly be? :confused:

Attached Files:

10. JohnWill

Well. I'd be looking at the usual list of suspects first.

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
    2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
    5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

11. dave0700

dave0700

meanwhile you get this fixed, you can use gameranger to tunnel out your game netowrk data and play ;-)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice