Can busted CPU pins cause a computer not to boot ??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

primetime212

hi..I have a computer that wont POST at all..its a new motherboard too...I checked the CPU pins and some of them look bad and one even broke off pretty easily..can this cause the computer to not POST at all ?? any info is appreciated

YES. Pins can be bent back though(with a lot of patience a mechanical pencil and a steady hand) and you may have luck with a jeweler in attempting to solder the broken pin back on. I have heard of this being done successfully in the AMD forums.

primetime212

GripS said:
YES. Pins can be bent back though(with a lot of patience a mechanical pencil and a steady hand) and you may have luck with a jeweler in attempting to solder the broken pin back on. I have heard of this being done successfully in the AMD forums.
well alot of the pins look scraggly like they are about to break off

broken pins are almost impossible to fix, and yes this would be your problem. If you installed that chip yourself you probably pushed too hard or slid it against the socket.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If they didn't need those pins, they wouldn't have put them on the package. :)

If the pin is on the edge, it's possible with a little care to solder it on. It's a delicate operation, but I've done it. OTOH, the pins in the middle of the array are pretty much impossible to fix without some specialized tools.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online