1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can change time but clock reverts back within a couple minutes

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by katgermain, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katgermain

katgermain Thread Starter

Hi,

Like many others, I had the Outlook issue when daylight savings came in to play. It was an issue on my old computer which used xp/ Office 2000 (I think) and it's still a problem on my new system: Vista Home Premium and Office 2007. When daylight savings comes into play, all of my appointments streach over two days. I tried fixes on the old set up to no avail. The only thing that worked was to simply turn off the automatically adjust date and time/ daylight savings feature and change the clock myself... which is just fine by me. Well, same problem again with the new system. I have tried patches and fixes and updates to get rid of the Outlook problem and just decided to use my little work around - do it all manually... again, which is just fine with me. I frankly don't care - I can't seem to get it sorted out any other way and it's the easiest fix. Or so i thought.

So there was the background. The problem i'm having is that the clock will NOT stay on the time i set it to! In under 5 minutes, it automatically reverts to the previous time.

Here are the steps I've taken:

1. Clicked the time in the bottom right of my screen.
    2. Clicked "Change Date and time settings"
    3. Clicked on "Change time zone"
    4. (Made sure it is set to my time zone: GMT -05:00 )
    5. (Made sure "automatically adjust clock for Daylight saving time is NOT checked)
    6. Clicked "ok"
    7. Click "Change Date and time"
    8. I got a message saying "windows needs your permission to continue", i clicked "continue"
    9. I changed the time to one hour later and clicked "ok"
    10. Clicked "Apply" at 8:16pm
    Then within 2 minutes it reset itself to the previous hour. No error messages. No warning. And without me turning off my computer.

I've tried going in through the Control panel and following the same steps (just in case)
    I've tried just changing the time zone, but then i get that wonky "all appointments stretch over two days" thing happening again.
    I've tried looking for something in the "Regional and Language Options" (hey, there's a globe and a clock on the icon) to no avail.
    I've searched the internet and found something similar to my problem on this site (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/595938-quick-easy-clock-help.html) but it was all stuff i'd tried/ new already. The one thing that someone mentioned in that thread - and i know nothing about - is the BIOS clock. Might this have something to do with this my problem and if so, am i able to set/ reset it?

Please help! This has been a twice-a-year problem for a long time now and i'm tired of spending time adjusting each of my appointments individually twice a year!

2. joeten

joeten

3. PolarisX

PolarisX

Ive had this exact same issue, my clock would constantly revert to an old time, turns out it was the CMOS battery. Essentially the CMOS battery powers the motherboard so it can hold the system time (and your bios settings) while the computer is unplugged or off.

When this battery goes dead your settings stop being saved, and the first thing you notice is the time wont stay set. They're dirt cheap, a couple bucks at the computer store and you can drop them in easy.

Open up your case and just look for a round battery on the motherboard, it should be in an easy to access location, depending on the mobo you should be able to pop it out with your finger but you might need a screwdriver just be careful of the motherboard. Once youve got the old one out, take it with you to the computer store and get a replacement and just pop the new one into place.

Then you'll have to reset the time within bios, the key to enter depends on the bios manufacturer, but it could be DEL, F1, F2 . . . it should say "Press KEY to enter setup" the first screen you see should be the time screen, just change the settings to the current time and then exit & save.

And that should do it. It did for me.

4. katgermain

Thanks for your responses.

Regarding the CMOS battery, i read about this problem too, but my understanding is that the time would only roll back after the computer was actually turned off then on again. Mine is just quietly, sneakily even, reverting back within a couple of minutes. Besides this computer is only 7 or 9 months old. Could that battery be kaput already?!

With all of the glitchy behaviours and error messages i've been having with Vista/ Office, i just figured that it's another "interesting and unique" quirk of the programs. But of course I also thought there'd be a simple fix since it doesn't feel like that complicated of a problem. But i'm just a consumer. What do i know?!

5. PolarisX

PolarisX

Ya know that's what I thought too, but i never turn my computer off yet my time would always be wrong and i could watch the windows clock roll back, faulty batteries do crop up.

When I had this happen, my computer was a month old. Id say try it, most clock issues are BIOS related, and this one just screams CMOS battery, if it doesn't work, you're out $5?

Your problem sounds exactly like mine, and changing the battery fixed my problem, either it fixes it or the motherboard is faulty. Id go with the $5 fix to rule out the $200 fix.

6. katgermain

PolarisX, you're right, of course. Just a pain in the you-know-what either way.

...but better a $5 pain in the you-know-what

:) Thanks very much for your help. In three months, when i get around to getting the cmos battery, i'll post back up here to say how it went!

7. joeten

joeten

hi polarisx good call you could well be bang on

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/808286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice