1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can comcast do this? Or did I do something wrong?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by linnie13, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. linnie13

linnie13 Thread Starter

I have subscribed to comcast for about 1 year now. We have 4 computers hooked up to the internet through a router. I just received this notice from comcast.

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer:

We hope you are enjoying your Comcast High-Speed Internet service and Comcast is pleased to be providing you the premier 100% Pure BroadbandTM service available. During a recent audit we identified what could be a discrepancy in our records. Comcast provides one dynamically assigned IP address (Internet Protocol) per standard residential Comcast High-Speed Internet account. An IP address allows Comcast to recognize your computer and provide Internet connectivity.

Our records indicate that you subscribe to one or more additional dynamically assigned IP address(es). Effective April 13, 2004, the Multiple IP Product offering will change, so we recommend that you evaluate your IP needs and choose from several options that are available. Please call 1-800-Comcast (select menu option #2 for Internet, then option #2 for Billing and Account Information) for pricing and further details - pricing is based on 1 additional IP for $4.95 or up to up to 4 additional IPs for $9.90.

If we do not hear from you within 14 days from the date on this letter, then in accordance with our terms of service and applicable policies. Comcast will remove any additional IP addresses that are not being paid for with your Comcast.net account.

Thank You.
    Comcast High-Speed Internet
    Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer:

I don't understand how the computers can have a different IP address. Should I have done something when connecting to make them the same. Also is networking different than what I have setup now?

2. myvicisslow

myvicisslow

Well if you only have one cable modem then I don't see how you can have multiple IP addresses assigned to you. I would assume that your router has the one IP address that they lease to you. Your computers will then have 4 separate IP's assigned by the router or set statically. Maybe you should call in and make sure it isn't a hoax. If their are any attachments with the email then it probably is. And of course don't open the attachments if there are any.

3. linnie13

linnie13 Thread Starter

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

The only way anyone is going to be able to help you regarding your setup is if you give a few details on how you have it set up...

IP's of the networked PC's, physical arrangement, etc...

MBN

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!