1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can connect through LAN but not Wirelessly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by briteFFFF00, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. briteFFFF00

briteFFFF00 Thread Starter

Hi all and thanks for checking this out.

I've been using the same Motorola WR850G wireless router both for wireless and wired connection for the past several years without a hitch. I recently moved into another place and am now using the same router. Wired works but wireless, not so much. When the "View Available Wireless Networks" is pull up, the network is detected but the laptop won't connect. It will connect to other networks, just not mine. I was on an unsecured network before and have left it unsecured now. I eventually would like to make it secured. But connecting is my main problem right now.

I am running a Compaq Presario 2500 with WinXP SP2 and the router is Motorola WR850G with 6.1.4firmware

Here is my IPCONFIG /ALL

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\briteFFFF00>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : brite
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815
    /816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-CD-AA-C4-28
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, October 08, 2007 10:35:45 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 09, 2007 10:35:45 P
    M

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP WLAN 54g W450 Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-E5-52-2E-12

Internet Protocol Properties have all been set to obtain IP address and DNS server addresses automatically. I've power cycled, release/renew and pretty much everything else mentioned in these threads that seemed remotely related. Maybe I missed something?

Please let me know what I can do to fix this problem. Thank you for your time and help.

2. kfpc

kfpc

Try changing the channel that your router is broadcasting wireless on. Since all that has changed in the enviroment is the location, other peoples broadcasts could be the reason you can no longer connect

3. attempt1

attempt1

It says your adapter is disconnected. Go into 'Device Manager' and try to uninstall, then re-install it.

You may also want to try to update to the latest driver for your adapter if this does not work.

4. briteFFFF00

@attempt1: Well, considering the wireless adapter is built into the computer, I don't think reinstalling would be an option, at least I don't think so.

@kfpc: I tried all 11 channels and no luck. I even tried connecting the roommate's laptop to all 11 channels. No luck.

Anything else? Thanks for all the help so far.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the router to factory default settings and try to connect via wireless. Change channel if necessary to avoid interference from another network. When/if successful change your SSID to something you like and try enabling encryption.

attempt1 said to use Device Manager to uninstall. That uninstalls the driver. Certainly works and is often a good thing to do. But probably not necessary since your testing is pointing more towards the router needing a wake up call.

6. briteFFFF00

Did the factory reset and the wireless worked for a little bit but only one computer could connect to the internet at a time.

And then, all of a sudden, nothing worked. Not even through LAN. The computer can connect to the router both wirelessly and through LAN but there's something wrong with the connection bewteen the router and the modem. Though values for IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway can be seen on the 'Support' tab of the wireless status box as well as ipconfig, the same values remain 0.0.0.0 on the router interface.

Did I screw up royally? I'm literally slamming my head into walls at this point.

7. jmwills

jmwills

Beginning to sound like a bad router, or at least one that needs a firmware update.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Take a deep breath.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Did the factory reset and the wireless worked for a little bit but only one computer could connect to the internet at a time."

That sounds a lot like having the modem connected to a router LAN port instead of the WAN port.

Or there's some setting required for ISP connection that you did not make after the reset to factory defaults (For example, PPPoE? Clone the MAC address of one computer? User Name/Password?).

10. endfro

endfro

Try replacing windows wireless config with a program like netstumbler. I love netstumbler and will never go back to the built in windows config.

http://www.netstumbler.com/

Since netstumbler replaces some windows files, read about it and make sure your hardware is compatible with it before you make the plunge.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    NetStumbler is nice for what it does, but it does not replace Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC). WZC is a utility for managing wireless connection(s). NetStumbler is a tool for monitoring and checking strength, channel, noise, signal/noise ratio, etc., of wireless networks.

12. jmwills

jmwills

I was beginning to think I had missed something also on that. WZC is a VERY good replacement for any third party connection tool.

13. endfro

endfro

Well I know it replaces something in windows, or at least so I have read.. either way, netstumbler is really useful tool for anyone who is using wireless.

14. attempt1

attempt1

Not physically, just the drivers. As per the following instructions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/devicemgr.mspx
    "To uninstall a device:

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Double–click the type of device that you want to uninstall.

3. Right–click the specific device you want to uninstall, and then click Uninstall.

4. In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK. "

A reboot will re-detect and then re-install the drivers. I've had good success with this when things go wrong. It will install a fresh copy of the .dll's, drivers, and configuration files.

15. briteFFFF00

Thanks to all that replied.

Just as an update: I gave up and opted for a new router. We then had yet another problem with replacing a rented Comcast modem with a purchased modem. That didn't work so we went back to the rented modem. All in all, the last two weeks have been hell.

Now I have another router problem but it seems as if the wireless adapter is being a pain again so I will try uninstalling it. Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/635477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice