Can connect to Access Point, but internet cannot be found

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jesskbuf

I have been using my Linksys WRK54G Wireless-G Broadband Router for years now and have had no problems (other than turning it on and turning it off to recycle connection). Today, my laptop, which is connected to an 802.11g wireless adapter, is telling me I am connected to my access point but that the internet cannot be found. I tried to look through other threads to see what I could do and it seems as if the first step is to check the ip address (by cmd and then ipconfig), but I am only given 0.0.0.0. I'm assuming this is a problem? What happened? I didn't do ANYTHING out of the ordinary that would have made my laptop connection go schizo.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

Is it just the wirless that has no connection? In other words, can you plug into one of the ports on the router and get Internet? Try that to eliminate at least one issue.

You probably already did this, but try turning off the router and the modem for at least a minute, then turning it back on--also try rebooting the computer.

If still no connection, have you tried calling your ISP provider? Every once in awhile, a reset of your modem's IP address is necessary.

jesskbuf

Windows IP Configuration

Hostname...........: My_Travel_Buddy
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type.....: Mixed
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Eternet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.....:
Description.......: Linksys Wirless-G USB Network Adapter #3
Physical Address.....:00-0F-66-12-FC-4A
Dhcp Enabled........: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address......: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask......: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway........:
DHCP Server.............: 255.255.255.255

jesskbuf

Yes, I have turned the router off several times and tried to reboot...furthermore, (and correct me if I'm wrong), but this laptop is connected to a router through my home pc...which still has internet connection...so is it really possible that I'd need to call my ISP to ask for a new IP address? I'm just confused as to why I have done absolutely nothing out of the ordinary and the laptop and NOT the PC poops out on me.

You mean the PC is connected to the router and not router to the PC (modem>wireless router>PC). You can not run a router off the PC.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

jesskbuf said:
I'm just confused as to why I have done absolutely nothing out of the ordinary and the laptop and NOT the PC poops out on me.
Yes--you can simply lose your internet connection requiring your ISP to renew your IP address--its happened to me several times. I would contact them to make sure there is no problem in their end before I rack my brain trying to figure out why you have a problem.

BTW--can you access you Desktop from your laptop? In other words, is your intranet working fine?

Edit--I missed the fact that you said you're PC still has the internet connection. That' means the problem is with the wireless and not your ISP.

jesskbuf

Okay, so I typed ........ netsh winsock reset catalog ......... and it said 'The following command was not found: winsock reset catalog.'

So then I proceeded to type ........ netsh int ip reset reset.log .......... and it just brought me to a new command line.

And when I opened the reset.log text file, it just said 'completed'.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online