1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can connect to Internet, but cannot access any websites.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NoNameIsName, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoNameIsName

NoNameIsName Thread Starter

Today I began to have a problem with my internet connection. I remember installing an update for Norton Family before it began to appear. I can use the Internet for 2-5 minutes before it suddenly rejects all my requests and gives a message along the following lines: "Can't connect to the server." Apparently I can only work with Google, but that's useless because I cannot access any of the sites that any search results provide. Firefox also stops working at the same time this problem appears. Google Chrome does work after that but I still cannot access any of the websites.

I am in the 'Safe Mode with Networking' mode right now, and there is no problem with the internet whatsoever. I've posted this message in that mode as well.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II P520 Dual-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3834 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 293430 MB, Free - 229222 MB;
    Motherboard: AMD Corp., Guam
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Disabled

I know my Norton 360 is Disabled but I'm going to renew the subscription soon.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This has practically rendered me incapable of using the Internet. :(

2. MorbidSteve

MorbidSteve

This sounds more like a virus or malware to me. Maybe something that has configured your host file or redirects everything.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall Norton and run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. You can reinstall if desired after testing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice