1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can connect to internet, but my computers do not see each other. Please help.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Palmer Thongwa, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Palmer Thongwa

Palmer Thongwa Thread Starter

Hi,

I have two computers which I used to network by means of cross over cable, one adapter in each computer. One of them was connected to internet through another adapter and a cable modem and the other shared the connection through this computer.

But I wanted each computer to be able to connect to the internet independently, so bought a 3Com Office Connect Secure Router 3CR860-95. Using the wizard I got both computers connected to the internet without any trouble.

But now the two computers do not see each other. 'my network places' page is blank, my 'workgroup computers' page is blank in both computers.

Please advise me what I have to do so that I can share files and folders between my two computers. I use the second computer to hold my 'Ghost' backups of the first computer. My OS is WinXP SP2.

I will be eternally grateful if you will please point me towards a solution.

Palmer Thongwa.

2. Palmer Thongwa

Hi,

Perhaps some more info will help you formulate a reply:

First computer has two adapters, both connected to router.
    IPconfig /all shows all lines entered such as
    Dhcp enabled
    Autoconfig enabled
    IP address 192.168.1.186
    Default gateway 192.168.1.1

The second adapter is on IP address 192.168.1.189

On second computer with only one adapter:
    IP address 192.168.1.188
    Default gateway 192.168.1.1

The host names for both computers are correct.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Palmer Thongwa.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think rather than trouble shoot it would be easier to just set up file and printer sharing again.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

4. Palmer Thongwa

Hi, and thanks for super fast response. I have tried running the network setup wizard (twice) on both computers. I did go into 'other', but do not remember whether I used 'residential gateway' or not, and did enable file and printer sharing. But will try again.

A few minutes ago, after reading one of the forum posts ran //192.168.1.186, then .189, then .1, on the second computer. Each time it said "network path was not found". Does not sound good.

Palmer Thongwa.

5. Palmer Thongwa

Just remembered to say, I do have Norton Internet Security 2006 running on both computers. Should I disable Internet Security, or remove it completely? Will the router provide full protection after the firewall software has been taken off?

Palmer Thongwa.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean "ran //192.168.1.186"?

7. Palmer Thongwa

Hi, sorry for delay in replying. I was waiting for the Workgroup Computers to show up. They did not.

To answer your query:
    In windows,
    Start>run>\\192.168.1.186 - OK

Please advise further.

Palmer Thongwa

8. Palmer Thongwa

TerryNet hello,

I think it is working! My network places and workgroup computers have all appeared.

I did all that you advised, plus disabled Personal Firewall and Intrusion Protection of Norton Internet Security.

Do you have a view on the security against attacks which the router will provide, after I have disabled third party software? The Windows Firewall has turned itself on and I have not changed it.

Palmer Thongwa.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The router gives you "perfect" protection from incoming attacks--attacks originating from the internet. It gives no protection from outgoing attacks--spyware sending all your financial data somewhere, malware mounting a Denial of Service attack on another computer, etc.

Personnally, I find that sufficient (along with an always running anti-virus program and occasional use of anti-spyware/anti=adware programs). If you want the outgoing protection, you can configure those 3rd party firewalls to allow LAN access.

It sounds like you had two firewalls running before? That can cause problems I've heard.

10. Palmer Thongwa

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Will try to configure the Norton Internet Security to fit in with my new router.

I always disabled Windows Firewall when I was using NIS.

I must next clean up and fine tune my configuration so that it works without my having to think about it.

By the way, how do I " remove the PPoE or PPTP client software from my computer to free resources, as it is not required for use with the router" as suggested in the 3COM installation guide pamphlet?

Many thanks
    Palmer Thongwa.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... how do I " remove the PPoE or PPTP client software ..."

I do not know.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you look in Control Panel under Add/Remove Programs? There's probably an entry for the PPPoE software client there.

13. Palmer Thongwa

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have found the authoritative source of information for PPoE etc on the site www.carricksolutions.com

I found that I do not need to worry about PPoE, because I use cable and not DSL.

Finally I want to say that I have got my 3Com router running correctly and my two computers communicating with each other and with the web faultlessly.

This is no small part due to the useful information given to me on this forum in response to my request for assistance. Thank you, thank you.

Palmer Thongwa.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/480956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice