1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can connect to internet, but not computers on network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dlsayremn, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlsayremn

dlsayremn Thread Starter

Came to pick some brains for help. Trying to help OP Rickman at Qwest.net forums. Told him I would post about problem over here

Because of connectivity problems he has just switched his old Actiontec GT701-WG for a new Actiontec GT701-WG.

His statement of problem,
    The Vista desktop is connected through ethernet and the XP laptop is wireless. I am on my own wireless network and both computers can access the Internet but cannot share files or printer.

The Vista desktop will show the XP laptop in Network but clicking on it gets a "Cannot communicate message". On the XP laptop trying to see Workgroup computers gets a message "Network is not accessible. You might not have permissions.."

I cannot ping one machine from the other. I never tried to ping them when file sharing/printing worked before but I would expect that they could. I seem to remember some setting on the modem that I was told to change to make the networking happen the first time, but it was years ago. Thank you for you help.

What I have done so far.
    Asked how he tried to ping. Suggested if he pinged only by name to try pinging by actual IP address of each computer.
    Remember seeing a thread here about Hostname/IP Address resolution causing similar problem that was solved, but couldn't find it.

Thanks DLSayremn

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest the person with the issue post directly. It's much easier to assist without a middleman, and if he can post there, he should be able to post here.

3. dlsayremn

dlsayremn Thread Starter

I know John, will see if I can get him to come here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/806805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice