1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can connect to LAN but can't access Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Thia, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thia

Thia Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 that runs on Windows XP Service Pack 2. To get online, I use an Ethernet cable but also have wireless on my laptop. I never used to have a problem connecting to the Internet, but after being away for over a month, I can no longer access it. I have no problems connecting to the LAN or wireles network, but whenever I try to access AOL, it gets stuck on Step 2- Connecting via TCP/IP. Then, five seconds later, I receive a message saying "Connection timed out." Strangely enough, if I move the cable between slots in the wall jack, I can access AOL, but only for thirty seconds max. I can't access Internet Explorer at all. And the colors on both sides of my network connector are yellow and red, not yellow and green, as my owner's manual said they should be. I frequently receive a message saying that a local cable is unplugged, even though the cable is secure. I used to receive this message when I was able to access the Internet, but not as frequently as I do now. Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I got Verizon DSL over my winter break and have since uninstalled the software, thinking that maybe it interfered. Here are the results of ipconfig/all:

Primary Dns Suffix:
    Node Type: Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No
    DNS Suffix Search List: binghamton-reg.edu

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: binghamton-reg.edu
    Description: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address: 00-14-22-AC-6A-7C
    Dhcp Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 172.16.230.93
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
    Default Gateway: 172.16.224.1
    DHCP Server: 172.16.224.10
    DNS Servers 172.16.224.10

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: binghamton-reg.edu
    Description: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    Physical Address: 00-16-6F-A1-5C-E6
    Dhcp Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 172.16.234.31
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
    Default Gateway: 172.16.224.1
    DHCP Server: 1.1.1.1
    DNS Servers: 172.16.224.10

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What is providing such different IP address schemes?

For example the wired one is getting 172.16.230.93
    The wireless one is getting 172.16.234.31

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good question about what is providing! Looks to be a school network (DNS Suffix Search List: binghamton-reg.edu). But I think it is only one subnet--note the mask = 255.255.240.0. That's gonna allow, I think, 16 different numbers in the 3rd position.

But where did that DHCP Server: 1.1.1.1 come from????

4. Thia

Thia Thread Starter

Yes, it is a school network. And for some further clarification, I tried the winsock command, but it didn't help me get online. When I tried to reset the TCP, nothing happened- a new command prompt appeared instead.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What is providing such different IP address schemes?

One problem is you have a wired and wireless network adapters, each with completely different IP address schemes and DHCP servers. Might try with just one or the other.

Is there a working computer you can check to see what it should be?

6. Thia

Thia Thread Starter

Yes, there are plenty of computers in the library (that's where I've been lately). I'm on a Mac right now- is the command function the same on a Mac as it is on a PC? I've tried looking for one but couldn't find it.

Also, I've tried disconnecting both the LAN and wireless networks to see if I could get online with one or the other, but it didn't work.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Haven't used a Mac for about a year now so can't give the specifics on how to find the IP information.

8. Thia

Thia Thread Starter

No problem. There are also PCs in the library, so once I can get onto one, I'll post the IP address.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Great.

Then you can compare all the IP information on a working computer vs. yours.

At least we can then have a direction to continue with.

10. Thia

Thia Thread Starter

Here's the ipconfig on a computer that can access the Internet.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-0E-D0-40
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 128.226.160.148
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 128.226.160.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 128.226.136.12
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 128.226.1.115

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And that is completely different from either of the two IP schemes posted from your computer.

But then that last one is not using DHCP like your computer. Can you find one that is using DHCP and can connect to the network?

12. Thia

Thia Thread Starter

I'll ask my roommate if I can get onto her computer and do ipconfig. She's probably sleeping now, but hopefully I can get the information tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far- without it I'd probably be pulling my hair out. :)

13. Thia

Thia Thread Starter

Ok, here are some statistics from my roommate's computer, which has DHCP enabled (and these concern the LAN, not wireless, which I don't think she has):

IP Address: 128.226.225.56
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 128.226.225.1
    DHCP Server: 128.226.1.115
    DNS Servers: 128.226.1.11

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "access AOL"? Are you trying to use some kind of AOL software over the school network? Or just trying to access an AOL web site? Can you access other web sites OK when you don't mess with AOL?

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

These are also very different from both IP addresses you are getting. The ones that could access the Internet were 128.226..x.x.. Yours had 172.16.x.x.

1. Since it is somewhat simpler, what happens if you don't use the wireless on your computer and just use a wired connnect. This should be from the same location as the computer you just posted.

2. Can you access the Internet from another location (home, friend's etc.)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice