Can connect to wireless network, but can't connect to internet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dubit

Hi I need a little assistance. I am on a dell laptop running Windows XP Pro SP2. This is my mothers laptop and I have no clue what she did with it. OK, so I have an IP address, connected to Wireless network, can ping DNS Server, DHCP server, and Default Gateway. Tried the Winsock reset and the int ip reset. Also IPconfig release and renew. Haven't gone into the registry yet (Kinda nervous don't wanna mess anything else up. Need specific instructions). Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers (found online). Ran into a whole different set of problems and error messages, but I've gotten all those resolved already. I connected a LAN line with still no luck. I even installed Firefox. With all that done it still won't connect to the internet. I've used up all my tech savvy\expertise and I'm at a lost. Anything else you can think of that I can try? Thanks in advance

TerryNet

Terry
Uninstall ZoneAlarm. :) Seriously, from your description the problem could be any non-Windows firewall (security suite) blocking browsers.

It could also be that you are behind a router and the router is not connected to the internet. Please show the following ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

ping 68.180.206.184

ping yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Dubit

Thanks for replying. What is ZoneAlarm and how do I get rid of it? I checked the add/remove applications and windows applications and I didn't see it. I left my bleeping flash drive at home and I'm stuck at work so I can't get the ipsettings transferred over yet. I'll do it as soon as I get back home. Now about that ZoneAlarm thing.

TerryNet

Terry
Ignore my comment about ZoneAlarm specifically. It is a free firewall that many people use and seems to not infrequently get "confused" and has to be uninstalled and then the latest version installed again.

I should be more straightforward and simply advise to consider any non-Windows firewall (security suite). It may have become misconfigured or corrupted.

Dubit

Here are my ip settings. How does it look?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : HOPEINVESTMENTS
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-7D-1E-26-FE
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:55:54 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 20, 2009 11:55:54 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-A4-FC-01

C:\>ping 68.180.206.184

Pinging 68.180.206.184 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=57
Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=57
Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=57
Reply from 68.180.206.184: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 68.180.206.184:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 75ms

C:\>ping yahoo.com
Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

C:\>ping www.yahoo.com
Ping request could not find host www.yahoo.com. Please check the name and try ag
ain.

C:\>

Dubit

It appears that if I type the ip address of the website into the browser bar it will connect that way, but it still won't resolve the actual names (links included).

TerryNet

Terry
That's also what the pings of the web address and web name showed. Try using the OpenDNS servers on your computer. Only Step 1 is needed.

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Here is the problem you are using the router ip address for dns settings.
remove the dns settings in the router and use automaticaly assined or specify open dns settings instead

Dubit

I changed it to the open DNS and it still does the same thing. I think maybe a re-install will help it. Thanks for all your help everyone.

This sounds like the same process I went through (for 3 days) recently. Finally found a solution from somewhere that worked. Start by unplugging everything...power and ethernet...from everything. Then plug everything back in, starting with the modem - power first - until all the lights are lit. Power on the router and press the reset button. Then plug the ethernet cable into the router, then the PC (if wired). Turn on the PC. Try going through the install procedure again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online