1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can connect with Ethernet Wifi won't connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stinghoficon, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stinghoficon

stinghoficon Thread Starter

Hello all,

I changed my router access password and wireless WPA Pre-Shared key
    today by logging in at 192.168.0.1

After that I realized that my wireless would still connect but it wouldn't load up webpages
    quickly, or at all for that matter. I tried to troubleshoot just based on the things I know to do
    e.g. flushdns, winsock fix, release/renew, wireless adapter properties changing the preferred and
    alternate DNS servers, etc. When I still was able to connect to wireless, I ran troubleshooter.
    It came back that it was properly configured by the DNS server was not responding.

I'm writing this post with my ethernet cable in my computer because wireless won't even
    connect anymore. It says RCA on the physical router but when I login it says "Thomson".

Can someone help? Thanks.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1912 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 828 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 227772 MB, Free - 140854 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NBWAA
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Delete the wireless profile. The next time you try to connect to your network you will be prompted to enter the (new) encryption key.

4. stinghoficon

OK, I deleted the wireless profile and it asked me to enter the password, like you said it would.
    I entered it and was still unable to connect to the wireless network. I manually added the connection
    back so that it appears in the "Manage Wireless Networks" screen again.

What next?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The only change you made to the wireless network was to change the encryption key? It was already using WPA-PSK, right?

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful re-enable encryption and try yet again to connect.

6. stinghoficon

Here's what happened... when the router was set up (just recently) the guy used my phone number
    for the WPA Pre-Shared Key. I wanted to change that to something more complex using the full
    spectrum of permitted characters to make a more unique and challenging password.
    I also changed the username and password to the router access login
    (right after I enter 192.168.0.1 into the browser) from the default to something that only I would know.

Edit: I disabled connection by clicking on the internet connection icon (with bars) in the taskbar,
    right clicking on my network, "Properties" comes up and I left click click on that.
    Then there was security tab where I changed the "Security type" to "No authorization (open)".
    I tried to connect without encryption enabled and it was unable to do so.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I was going to suggest trying a real simple passphrase as I think (just my unproved theory) that some special characters are not treated the same or properly by all routers and adapters.

But it really makes no sense to me that you can not connect with encryption disabled. Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. Assuming an integrated adapter get it from Toshiba's (I think that's your OEM) web site. Even if you have that driver reinstall it in case the installed instance is corrupt.

If that driver still won't connect then try the latest one from the adapter manufacturer's web site.

8. stinghoficon

I entered a simple password and that did not solve the problem.

I updated the wireless driver but it was determined that I had the latest driver already.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101876