1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can connet with ethernet but not wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by natarat, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. natarat

natarat Thread Starter

This problem has confounded me.

1) Bought a new wireless router (it's a Corega CG-WLBARGNH router...I live in Japan).
    2) Set it up fine with another laptop. On that laptop, both ethernet and wireless work great. On my HP Pavillion dv 1000 with Intel PRO/Wireless 2200bg...ethernet connects great, but wireless will not connect. Note the following:
    a) The wireless router shows up fine on my list of available connections.
    b) When I click to connect to the network, my computer just endlessly tries to connect..."waiting for network" even though the router is in the same room with me and showing full strength on my list of available networks.
    c) I am able to connect to other wireless connections fine (though they happen to be my neighbors' unsecured networks)
    d) I have updated my driver (as well as rolled it back). I have checked security settings multiple times (the router company suggested this). I have even fiddled with settings I probably shouldn't have (with the configuration of my driver or TCP/IP settings)
    e) I have tried repairing my wireless connection at which point it says "Windows cannot finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Connecting to the wireless network". How helpful is that...

Hey, any advice at this point...I'll try it. I've been struggling for weeks in my free time to get this set up. At this point, I have no idea what to try.

Does anyone have any idea?? It must be some simple answer.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    Nat

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try removing all the stored wireless profiles and searching for and connecting. The fact that it's not asking for a key indicates you may have an incorrect key stored.

3. natarat

natarat Thread Starter

Sorry...I should have mentioned that detail. It does ask for the key (which I have entered...and rechecked many times). After that is when it continuously says "waiting for network".

Thanks for the reply though!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have the latest Intel wireless driver from HP's web site?

If you are using XP's WZC try the Intel Proset utility instead.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice