1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can CPU get too cold?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by missyjax, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missyjax

missyjax Thread Starter

Hi. It took me 5 tries to get my CPU to "kick in" this morning. It was fine yesterday but it got down to 52 in here last night (18 outside) and the tower is close to my sliding glass doors. Is it possible it got too cold? If not, what could cause this and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    More likely a power supply problem than a cpu problem.

3. missyjax

missyjax Thread Starter

Thanks, but what does that mean? Are you talking about the power source, or something inside the CPU? And how do I test it or fix it?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    it would help if you would tell us your system specs. Make and Model of computer plus OS.

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Don't know if this would apply to PC fans but I've had room fans 'freeze' and cause significant power draws until they're running at speed. The problem in that case is lubrication-it gets so cold the grease in the fan bearings congeals. As they come up to speed the bearings warm up from friction & the problem disappears. 52 (Fahrenheit) isn't cold enough to cause this. 18 probably would though but I'm not sure PC fans use oiled bearings. If they don't then I doubt cold is the cause. (Although moisture, caused by condensation in the cold, could be.)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First post your exact system specs ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, then post the exact make and model.

I agree most likely a pw supply problem. If this is by chance an e-machine, then do yourself a big favor and get rid of the pw supply and install a quality unit.

7. missyjax

missyjax Thread Starter

Thanks guys. As it turns out, the problem was the power supply to the monitor. I kept CPU on all night but turned the monitor off, and then this morning I couldn't get the monitor to come back on. So I plugged it elsewhere and it was fine.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice