1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can data be recovered from a hard disk that has completely failed ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by primetime212, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. primetime212

primetime212 Thread Starter

yes or no ?? My HD is unbootable and when switched as a slave makes a clicking noise when trying to access files and freezes...is data unrecoverable yes or no ?? any help is appreciated

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

An expensive data recovery centre probably could, but any home method is doomed.

3. Shairel

Shairel

4. abbyk

abbyk

Yes I believe you are looking at $1,000 minimum to get that data off professionally!

I have read that folks with the same issue have been successful with the "freezing method". Google for it, or someone here may have detailed instructions.

Basically seal the drive (wrap it up) in a plastic bag, put in the freezer for a couple of hours. Then connect as slave as you did & see if the drive will spin up and you can get that data transferred. Don't hang about, and it may be a once only option.

5. heavybob

heavybob

I have used the freezer method on my own drive - and it worked - until it thawed out so move quickly

6. primetime212

primetime212 Thread Starter

Why would freezing the drive work ??

7. abbyk

abbyk

I don't know exactly why, but I guess that the mechanical parts of the drive have somehow seized - freezing the drive seems to allow the drive to spin again - at least temporarily.

8. abbyk

abbyk

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I have recovered data from a drive using the freezer method, but its only effective for certain types of failure.

There is no way we could guess if it would work for you, but its worth a try.

Hard drives simply do not last forever, so frequent backups are essential. Newer hard drives seem to die at an alarming rate (reflecting the cheaper cost nowdays possibly)

10. Shairel

Shairel

hard drive platters are metal, cold makes metal shrink, if the problem with the drive is a physical defect that is blocking the head servo from moving, then shrinking away the surface of the drive from the head can resolve the issue
    Heard this from a person who works at a data recovery center
    problem is, the drive gets wrecked from condensation in the process, so don't do this with a drive you want to send out to a recovery service.

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

In my case the fault was in the drive electronics, and chilling the controller board allowed the recovery. It was likely a failed internal connection in one of the LSI chips that freezing temporarily cured.

12. JaseFace

JaseFace

Good to hear.

13. zoranbb

zoranbb

ok and how do u freeze a drive, put it in the fridge? just that? and what about humidity? doesnt that damage the drive? or create a shock when electricity pass through?

14. heavybob

heavybob

that's it pop it in the freezer - and yes it will read post #10

15. gfx

gfx

Depends on how badly the drive is damaged you can also try to use a freeware utility an try to recover the software manualy

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/395094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice