1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can DSL and a Modem share the same oultlet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigTex, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Hey guys, can a DSL and a Modem share the same phone outlet? And if so How?

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Your DSL comes into a DLS Modem (Normally) and there is an option to run a phone line with most DSL's (along side).
    So if that is your set up, you could connect to that.
    Why not just set up a network and run the other PC on the DSL too?

3. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

bassetman, we are on a peer to peer network. The Server (WIN NT) has the router/dsl plugged into it. My boss likes to work from home remote access, but in order to get into and print from a certain program, it will only work with a modem connection. And there is only one outlet in the server room, which is being occupied by the DSL with one socket open.

4. TheDJK

TheDJK

Sounds like you need a DSL filter (available at most electronics stores). The filter basically eliminates the DSL signal on the installed line, so that you can designate certain jacks as strictly voice/fax lines.

If I understand that last line correctly, you should be able to plug the filter into the "open socket", and the modem line into the filter.

If you don't have a socket available, you can pick up a 2-way splitter from Radio Shack or Home Depot or a million other places... I've even seen them at dollar stores. Plug the splitter into the wall, the DSL into one line, the filter into the other line, and the modem into the filter.

5. bassetman

Well, I am not sure we are both thinking of the same type of outlet here, but if you can plug a phone in it and get a dial tone, then you should be fine.

6. bassetman

The DJK, I have a phone line running with my DSL and the techies said I may have needed a filter, if I got static on the line. I don't have a problem so I never got a filter.
    Only saying that he could test it without the filter to see! :cool:

7. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

TheDJK, you mentioned that I needed a DSL filter, which eliminates the DSL signal. Are you saying that I will no longer be able to use the DSL OR are you saying that the DSL and the Modem may co-exist in the same outlet?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The DSL modem connects directly to the phone line. Any other device, including an analog modem, must have a filter between it and the TelCo line connection. You can connect an analog modem and an extension phone or two if you like, as long as you have a filter between them and the line.

9. TheDJK

TheDJK

Tex, I'm not saying that you can't use your DSL anymore. But it's certainly not a good idea to run a line from the filter straight to your DSL connection. :D The purpose of the filter is to eliminate any possible interference that the DSL signal may cause in voice or fax transmissions. Any filters would be installed on a separate extension of your phone line. See the last paragraph of my previous post for an example of DSL and voice/fax peacefully co-existing on the same phone number, just different branches.

And by all means, try bassetman's suggestion of just ataching the modem line straight to the open socket. It may just work for you.

10. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Thanks guys I'll give it a shot!

11. slawless

slawless

Yes you can, I have. Go to radio shack and get something that will split your line. Plug the DSL into one side, a dsl filter into the other. then plug the modem into the filter.

I normally use the dsl, but work occasionally requires me to use my computer as a terminal. And occasionally I fax.

It works well.

If you are trying to run both on the internet, to the same ISP you may have other issues. The increased speed of the 56k in addition to the DSL will not be noticed.

Steve L

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most of the time you get a DSL account, they throw in a few filters, you should already have them.

13. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Thanks johnwill!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice