1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can DWL-G730AP wireless pocket router/AP receive wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by samx, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samx

samx Thread Starter

Hi,

I am new to networking and have a simple question for you tech guys!

With this router, is it possible to receive wifi network through a central location and share it with my three computers individually, without having one computer sharing or controlling the connection?

TIA

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're receiving the wireless network using this device, you'd need to use ICS to share the network. How about telling us exactly the topology of the network and we may be able to suggest solutions?

3. AndrewMSA

AndrewMSA

Well I read the specs and it states it is wi-fi certified, so it appears it receives wifi then transmits to nearby wireless adapters. I don't exactly know what the process is with your local wifi ISP for registering the router with them, but I do not think internet connection sharing is needed if you use it in router/AP mode as long as the other computers have wireless adapters.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

An AP doesn't send and receive for multiple stations, that would be a wireless bridge. Tell me where in this description they talk about bridge mode?

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346

5. AndrewMSA

AndrewMSA

Yes I don't know why I stated AP mode, my mistake. An AP WILL send/receive with multiple stations it just will not assign IP addresses. Router mode will be needed for that. But my bigger mistake was not reading the product manual and discovering that it will not pickup a wifi signal from an ISP. It needs a hardwire connection to it.

To quote the product description:
    "In AP mode, the DWL-G730AP can be used to create a wireless network in a room where a single Ethernet port is provided. Now multiple wireless clients can connect to the network at the same time to share resources and files."

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice