1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can E8400 CPU run Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bcomplex, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcomplex

bcomplex Thread Starter

I just got a new Dell that has C2D E8400 CPU - 4 Gig ram - Comes installed with Vista

I dislike Vista and would rather install XP on it

Please let me know if I will be able to do so - anything I should look out for? Will drivers for this new Dell system be affected if I install XP? ie graphics card etc

I've read some discussions that talk about newer motherboards and BIOS being incompatible with Windows XP and problems arising when people try to install XP on better/newer computer systems - I'm hoping to avoid such problems

Any help on what to look out for would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

PS - I'm a total noob - so please be patient :rolleyes:

2. Jones

Jones

The processor is the least of your worries. It will work fine with XP.

What you need to be careful about is whether drivers are available for XP from Dell for the other hardware in your PC. There "should" be drivers for both Vista and XP for whatever you have, but you'll want to make sure. Specifically, look at your motherboard. You'll want to find out what chipset you have, and the various types of on-board devices (ethernet, SATA controller, wireless, etc) and make sure that you can get XP-compatible drivers.

This may sound like a 'big deal', but at this point you can find XP drivers for almost anything. Alot of people are in the same boat as you, and are upgrading to XP. :)

Other than than, installing XP should be a snap.

3. bigbear

bigbear

4. bcomplex

bcomplex Thread Starter

Thanks to both you guys for helping out!! :) (y)

5. Compiler

Compiler

Contact Dell - and asked them for drivers.

Depending on WHICH Dell you ordered, it may have had a WindowsXP option like these:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

And even their XPS systems have the XP option. So all you have to do is download all the XP drivers, put them on a USB key, murder Vista and upgrade to XP. Newegg sells XP-MCE for $120 while you can get it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116049

Funny... on some sites (not here) some folks say that there is NOTHING wrong with vista heheh.... Try it out for a week, perhaps it'll grow on you... I had it for a week on a clients PC, I hated it just as much in a week as the first day. ;)

6. bcomplex

bcomplex Thread Starter

I'm retarded for asking so early - While setting up the computer today, I checked the drivers disk and they all had the XP drivers along with Vista ones - Dell has never let me down yet...

I murdered Vista real good :D I love Vista's interface and new look - but I'm not looking forward to testing it out since I've heard nothing but bad things about it - I download alot of *whisper* torrents and I don't even want to bother trying to work around event 4226 and having to press F8 everytime - hopefully Vista will get better with future SPs

Anyhoos - thanks for your input ^^

7. Compiler

Compiler

Good for you for having good situations with Dell - I can't say the same, but all companies pretty much have the same lousy service and support. But including XP drivers with their expensive PCs is a bonus.... currently with some HP computers, it requires hunting them down - painfully.

While I speak ILL-WILL about Vista, you should have decided for yourself how bad (or good) it is for you... Personally, the "new look" isn't exciting... I think its worse than XP-MCE in many ways and its horribly slow. Funny thou, M$ give the user the VISTA or Windows 2000 look, not WindowsXP - how lame.

Hope you had a few days with your computer before you killed Vista... oh well.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice