1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can File Sharing woes be causing my ICS problems?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 80Warrior, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 80Warrior

80Warrior Thread Starter

Hello

I have a XP laptop with a Sprint Air card I am trying to share across a Workgroup with two Vista Desktops. I've been reading about ICS trying to get it to work but I am beginning to think my problem might be somewhere else.

All 3 computers can ping each other successfully.
    All computers and the media gateway are viewable on the network layout on each machine.
    My XP laptop can access all shared documents on the Vista machines.
    Neither Vista machine can access the shared docs folder on the XP machine. Access is denied.

I've read and tried many things to resolve that issue but I really have no desire to access the shared docs on my laptop. My goal is the ICS. What I AM wondering is if this access error is also the reason my Vista machines are not able see the shared internet connection on my XP laptop.

If someone could please answer that I'll adjust my research accordingly. Thanks!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For the XP machine and one of the Vista machines, please do this.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING 216.109.112.135

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Then for the same two machines, I'd like to see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following two commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. 80Warrior

80Warrior Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. It will be tonight however until I get the requested info. Sorry.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

5. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

"Neither Vista machine can access the shared docs folder on the XP machine. Access is denied"

Sounds like you still have a software firewall engaged on the xp workstation. Disable it as a test. If vista can now access reenable and configure to trust the vista pcs.

The xp firewall will deny your vista pcs network access if not properly configured.

6. 80Warrior

80Warrior Thread Starter

Hey all. Just wanted to apologize for not responding to any of your suggestions. The reason for the ICS is I am in between homes while I am waiting for mine to be built and didn't have high speed were I currently live. That's also why I didn't want to dump the money in the EVDO router. However I found the above linked router at a company discount so I am going that route. Thanks anyways!!

Damian

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice