1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I access windows after installing Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Rashid786, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rashid786

Rashid786 Thread Starter

Hi, I have just installed Linux on my computer. Suse 9.2 Personal eval. When I installed with YaST, it deleted hda1, swapped it or something, and then created the Linux partition. Now I think I have completely lost my entire Windows parition! I backed uo my files...but to my shock...I had not backed up all my brother's documents! Now he is extremely angry with me...twice now that has happened when I was trying to install Linux...:( :'(

Is there anyway I can access my old windows partition? When rebooting i pressed F8 but it oly goes to the Linux boot menu...

Thanks for any help, much appreciated...

P.S. Sorry if i can not reply ver quickly, SuSE has not configured my broadband modem, and I am using my brothers old and rubbish laptop to go on the net. All his documents were on my computer...:(

-Rashid786- [email protected]

2. tsunam

tsunam

alright first things first.

do a fdisk /dev/hda
    p
    that should tell you what the file formats are. If the fat32/ntfs are there you can manually mount the drive in linux and copy the files to your linux system, or add a boot option to the boot loader to be able to load windows.

to mount a ntfs system or fat32

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1/mnt/windows (note the mount point /mnt/windows or whatever you want to name it needs to exist)

If you have the ntfs drive and see if it works go in and edit your grub/lilo config to add something like the following (this one is for grub)

title=Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

3. Topato

Topato

Actually, I dont believe NTFS support is built into SUSE. You'll need to download the NTFS kernel driver from the linux NTFS project http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

4. Rashid786

Rashid786 Thread Starter

:s What does that mean? lol, sorry but i have absolutely no linux experience except running Knoppix a few times for a while... where should i type that??? I checked the /dev/hda2/mnt and its completely empty... erm, here's a screenshot of the YaST partioner...can windows still be on there?

'Sorry to admins if i am not allowed to post images...'
    [​IMG]

Ph yeah somehow internet connection started working...i just clicked stuff and thanks to God it just started working...:D

5. Maverick83

Maverick83

It seems like while installing SuSE, you completely formatted the drive and installed Linux. If there was anything you wanted from windows, you just killed it.

6. tsunam

tsunam

"He's dead Jim" as is your windows partition.

7. Rashid786

Rashid786 Thread Starter

:(...

I was going to fiddle with the partition thing because it looked like it was going to do that...but then I decided that the default should be safe...it said so. (i got the dvd from a magazine, that implied that it was going to install a multi-boot thiing...:( ) The circumstances make things really bad but you don't really care about how bad my situation is...

So if i were to say reinstall windows XP, but with a multi-boot...how exactly wuold i go abuot doing that?

Thanks for all your help.

8. tsunam

tsunam

to do a proper multiboot...

Partition space you want for windows / linux + space for swap

ie 60 gig hard drive

30 gig windows /dev/hda1
    29 gig linux /dev/hda2
    1 gig linux swap /dev/hda3

install windows on /dev/hda1

install linux...partitions to use /dev/hda2 linux /dev/hda3 swap..only those..format those two yes continue

and your brother will get over it, and he'll just have to remember to backup his own files. Its not all your fault, he should of kept proper backups.

9. Rashid786

Rashid786 Thread Starter

Get over it? Its all due in on Monday, he got a letter saying if he doesn't hand his cousework in on time he'll be thrown out of college...this time he actually tried...and I screwed his work. And i know he did not back up...but he had no idea that someone was going to just go around and delete it all with no warning...

OK, but how do I actually do that? Sorry if its annoying, but how would i actually go about changing the partitions and stuff? I must stress I am completely new to Linux...terminals...all of that...:s. And i have Linux already installed, i dont want to delete that and have to reinstal...what if I just want to install Windows XP alongside my current Linux...(i am slowly gradually faintly beginning to like and forgive it...;) )

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice