1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I add a W2K pc to an XP WEP wireless network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tomoc, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomoc

tomoc Thread Starter

I have an old W2k pc that I would like to add to my wireless WEP encrypted network... cable modem through Linksys N accesspoint.

I have network stumbler installed on it and I can see the network but can't figure out how to access it. When I launch IE, it doesn't ask for password or anything...just won't connect.

Network connections just says that Wi-Fi cable is not connected.

If I can use the network to connect to the web, great... will I also be able to share files???

I have one printer that has a scsi connection and will only work on the W2k pc and I'm moving files back and forth (across a fairly long room) via flash cards now... lame <g>.

tia,

tom

2. Dataseeker

Dataseeker

Tom in order to visualize what you have there I need to know this. How is your W2K machine connected to the network? I assume you have a wireless adapter. Is TCPIP set to &#8220;Get IP Address Automatically&#8221; on this adapter? Lastly, is the router you are using on this network providing DHCP to other machines on the network?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to install the wireless hardware client, since 2K didn't come with built-in wireless support. What is the make/model of the wireless adapter in the machine? Did you install the client software (not just the driver)?

4. tomoc

tomoc Thread Starter

I had to really dig through this old machine ... it is not connected to the network. It is a toshiba laptop with the wi-fi built in. When I try to open a page in IE, I get a DNS error.

I do have an application called Network Stumbler installed and it can see the network name but cannot connect me.

I cannt find the setting for "get IP address automatically"... though if it has one, I would definitely have checked that box.

The router does provide DHCP to three other pc's

thanks

tom

5. tomoc

tomoc Thread Starter

Hi John-

Thanks for checking this out. It is a laptop and it does have built in wi-fi (at least from Toshiba if not W2k). It is an old machine I used to travel with and wi-fi always seemed to be pretty simple to work, but it will not connect to the wifi network I have set up at home some time ago.

the name of the adapter is Toshiba wireless min LAN pci card

cheers,
    tom

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Tomoc. As Johnwill mentions you need to verify the wirless utility is installed on the PC not just the wireless card drivers. Network stumbler uses its own wireless intialization and does not require the Wireless utility but Windows 2000 does. If you can't find the wireless utility go to the Toshiba site and download the wireless utility - usually this is packaged with the device drivers but I have seen it as a seperate download.

With toshibas you usually see a hardware button to turn of and on wireless either FN and a key or a slide/press button since you have network stumbler working I know this means your software is having problems and not your hardware.

7. tomoc

tomoc Thread Starter

Hi Stumped-

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by the wireless utility, but I think I have proved it is installed... I just plugged in an old router (not connected to internet etc) and it immediately found it with W2K and connected. I don't know what I'm doing, but I just feel sure this is related to either xp or the fact that I have enabled wep encryption???

Does that, in fact, show that all is installed correctly??

thanks,

tom

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

OS should not matter even with a new router. asl ong as networking is working properly you should be able to connect to any wireless router.

If you have wireless router 1 and can't connect and old wireless router 2 and can connect. why not get the settings from wireless router 2 and mirror them on wireless router 1?

IMHO if you can connect to 2 and see it with network stumbler and if you can see 1 with network stumbler and can't connect it will be one of a couple things, mac address filtering, perhaps your PC is running wirless B and your router is set to G only, and last would be encryption.

I always recommend starting with no filtering and no encryption and all supported swireless enabled and htne locking the routers down 1 item at a time.

9. tomoc

tomoc Thread Starter

sTUMPED-

Thanks... that's a good idea. I can turn off the encryption and see if that makes it work.

tom

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice