1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I add XP after Vista (dual boot)?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Johnny RedBull, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnny RedBull

Johnny RedBull Thread Starter

I just bought a computer with Vista but I want to partition my hard drive to add XP because some of my software only runs on XP. It says on the microsoft site that you install the older operating system first, is there a way around it? Thanks for your help.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Not that I know of.

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

There are several ways but they tend to be unreliable, and in some instances depend on your particular environment. Thie was one I experimented with, originally on rtm. There is no reason why it should not work with thretail version. I have Vista as my primary OS on C: and XP on D: (This is Microsoft's solution)

Note You can run the commands in the following procedure by using the command prompt. If you run these commands in Windows Vista, run them at a command prompt that has elevated user rights. To do this, click Start, click Accessories, right-click the command-prompt shortcut, and then click Run as Administrator.1. Use Bootsect.exe to restore the Windows Vista MBR and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager program. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt: Drive:\boot\ Bootsect.exe –NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.
    2. Use Bcdedit.exe to manually create an entry in the BCD Boot.ini file for the earlier version of the Windows operating system. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt.

Note In these commands, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed. • Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –create {ntldr} –d “Description for earlier Windows version”

Note In this command, Description for earlier Windows version can be any text that you want. For example, Description for earlier Windows version can be "Windows XP” or “Windows Server 2003."
    • Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=x:

Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
    • Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldr
    • Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast

3. Restart the computer.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

There are easy ways if you use a third party boot manager rather than the MS one.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Disclaimer: I have no first hand experience.

It would seem that if every other version of Windows can be setup in a dual-boot scenario by first installing the newest OS, the same would hold true with Vista and XP. If Vista is installed first, XP should be able to be installed to another partition and thus end up with a dual-boot system.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I always use a third party boot manager (Symon) and make sure that all other partitions are well and truly hidden so that every OS I install thinks it is the only one there.
    All I have to do then, is restore the boot manager to track 0 when everything is complete.
    I even mix a few Linuxes in there as well, although Grub is a little harder to persuade to cooperate.

7. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

No disrespect DoubleH, but that comment is misleading for Vista newbies. If you install XP (or any other OS) as your second option to Vista, you will not get the needed dual boot - Blame MS. for such a dumb idea.

P.S. Reading this remark, I just wish to clarify so I'm adding this as an afterthought.It is always necessary to install Xp, or whatever, first. Vista itself will then, under most circumstamces, set up the dual boot when installed as the second OS. There are , slowly, apearing some solutions to this. MS themselves have one, but they are a little involved at this stage. I have even read that a third party boot manager will take care of it but I have not seen any examples.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Well, that definitely sucks. Thanks for the info.

9. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

10. cfinch

cfinch

Thank you uhaligani for the information on the dual booting.. I am an advanced user..
    I did the same stupid thing as others have, I installed my vista first, then realized I wanted XP second.. The stupid thing was I chose to deleted and have it rename my old version instead of keeping it..
    But, I already had my vista setup with hours of time in it the way I wanted it so,
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1st: I installed XP on a 2nd drive D: .
    That messed up my boot and allowed me to only boot to Windows XP but my Vista installation was still there on Drive C: ..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2nd: I loaded up my vista cd and booted to it and did a repair at the first prompt screen.. That allowed me to boot into vista and keeping my xp intact.
    3rd: Next I ran all the commands through the Command Prompt in Vista that you posted..

• Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=x: - <--This one said the entry was already there..

Note In this command, x: is the drive letter for the active partition.
    • Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldr
    • Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast
    Wallah.. I had a dual boot screen when I rebooted my computer.. Now I have both and both versions run great..
    Thank you so much for your info..

11. srikanthyvr

srikanthyvr

Thank you uhaligani for your post.......
    Even I have installed win xp on vista and not able to view the dual boot option.

I've followed the above steps and I am able to view the option XP and Vista in boot option.
    However, when i select XP it is giving me an error "Windows boot Manager"

File: \ntldr
    Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is miising or corrupt.

Please let me know what is x: is the drive letter for the active partition?
    I have Vista on C and XP on F Drive.

Earlier I was not able to logon to Vista after I installed XP.
    Now, I am able to get into Vista but not XP.

Please help me in running teh dual boot option on my Compaq PC.

12. cfinch

cfinch

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=x:
    Make sure the x: at the end of this line tells where your windows xp partition is.
    Which in your case would be f:

I'm sure you probably did that, but I was just double checking because I know this worked fine for me.

good luck,

-chris

13. Masterman10

Masterman10

This is a short copy of instructions I created for a friend to use as I have a dual boot system that works great. You can also do this with a current XP cd. These just refer to an old one for thats the cd he had. This will work if you do it right. You will need a program called easyBCD 1.6 (there are others that will work but this is what i used). http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 this link is where you get it when you need it. the instructions will tell you where.

Dual Boot

*NOTES*
    1. These instructions are using the XP edition without Service Pack 2.
    2. To use the Vista that comes with the computer first install it and then make a copy of it using some backup partitioning software. Finally, when it is time to install Vista just restore that copy to the C: drive.

1. Use the XP CD to clear the hard drive.
    2. Use the XP CD to create 2 partitions. Make C: 50GB and give D: the rest (about 78 GB).
    3. Install XP in the D: drive (Partition 2).
    4. When asked about how the computer is connected to the internet choose: DSL-NEXT- No, this computer is always connected to the internet.-NEXT- Obtain IP automatically/ Obtain DNS automatically.-NEXT- No, Remind me every few days.-FINISH.
    5. Put all drivers on XP to update it. also copy boot.ini (its in the D partition and not in any folders or anything like that.) save this copy on a cd or such
    6. Install Vista in the C: drive (Partition 1).
    7. When in Vista make a copy of the D: drive which is XP using some backup partitioning software.
    8. Delete the D: drive. So now there should only be Vista and unallocated space.
    9. Use Vista’s Disk Management to extend the C: drive to 150GB. This should leave about 148GB left in unallocated space.
    10. Use the backup partitioning software to restore the D: drive. Restore it to the 148GB of unallocated space.
    11. Now when in Vista go to Disk Management and make sure Vista is your System drive, it is the C: drive, and it is the first drive listed. Also, check to see that XP is on the D: drive, is a primary partition, and is the second drive listed. Make sure both say they are healthy.
    12. Go to Tools (Can be found in classic menu)/ Folder Options/ View and click Show Hidden Folders and unclick Hide Protected Operating System Files.
    13. Copy NTLDR (Found on XP CD in I386 folder) and NTDETECT (Found on XP CD in I386 folder) to the XP Partition (Just on the D: drive and not in any folders).
    14. Then go to the CD and right click on boot.ini and select edit. Make sure it reads
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    if it doesn’t then edit it so it does. (Last 2 lines are 1 line)
    15. Then copy boot.ini to the XP Partition in the same place as NTLDR and NTDETECT.
    16. Now copy NTLDR, NTDETECT, and boot.ini to the Vista Partition (Just on the C: drive and not in any folders).
    17. Install EasyBCD 1.6 Then open EasyBCD (do not worry about the error message that comes up. Just make sure it says C: and click continue).
    18. Go to Add/ Remove Entries and add Windows XP using the C: drive.
    19. Go to Configure Boot and edit the names to Windows Vista and Windows XP. Or whatever you choose of names

14. srikanthyvr

srikanthyvr

thnks for the reply..YES i am using F as current X drive

15. Tyrant917

Tyrant917

Thanks uhaligani. Your instructions were very useful! It was a perfect method for me without having to spend $60 on the Acronis OS Selector package to get the same result. I had two different backup images of Vista and XP. After manually resizing my partitions and restoring my Vista and XP images onto the hard disk, I noticed I wasn't able to dual boot. And since my operating system came pre-installed on the hard disk, I didn't have the original Vista Install CD (what a pain). I needed a way to add XP into Vista's boot list. Thanks a bunch!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice