1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I Automate Restoring Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by des000, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. des000

des000 Thread Starter

I've just spent about 5-7 days reconfiguring Internet Explorer from the ground up. I was wondering if there's a faster way though.

I want to set up my settings just like this, on possibly several other computers, including this one again, several times. Just to rule it out, No I can't just do anything like create an image, or do any re-installing or anything. Why? These computers are first of all, NOT all running Windows XP Media Center Edition, like this one. They are running various versions of Windows XP. Second of all, they belong to different people, with different liscenses therefore.

Since the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, seems to have a good number of settings and other stuff it can do, I would like to use it, if at all possible. Why? Well, besides that fact, it can do other things, such as save/restore your file types settings, which I believe is complete. I'll want to do this later too, so if I can use this tool, then I would kill about 10-20 birds, it seems with one stone.

So, first of all, does the wizard work, and save the complete state of the configuration for various programs listed in there, such as Internet Explorer, or the File Types? Does it work with Internet Explorer 7 too, if you have it installed, as well as Internet Explorer 6 (assuming you've saved with the right version installed)?

Now, assuming it saves right, I'd like to know how to use it in a more automated way, if possible, so I could just double click a BATCH file, and it would restore the proper settings from the proper place, using this wizard. I'd figured out how to use the Add/Remove Component Wizard in this way already. All I do, is double-click the BATCH file, and it does all the work for me now.

As long as the technique will work, I could make the user import them manually, but it would be loads easier to just double-click a file, and that's it. I believe, what I'd need for this task, is to find the undocumented command line for the tool, and that should be pretty much it, if it exists.

Now if the wizard will only import part of the Internet Explorer settings, then that would be an issue, because it could have serious side effects on the system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/761853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice