1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I avoid the long update process?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jp-engr, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jp-engr

jp-engr Thread Starter

I have two computers running xp, both with old versions. One is from before SP2, the other with barely SP2. I've upgraded my hard drives several times, and had a disk crash or two. Each time it takes many hours to bring xp back to fully updated state.

Is it possible to save an up-to-date copy of xp so that if I have to upgrade or recover from a bad hard drive again, the update process will be shorter or even eliminated?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Here is a link to a page on the MS site that will let you download all Windows XP updates through SP3 as a single 544.9 MB ISO file. You then use suitable a program to burn a CD from the ISO image.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=25129

EDIT: You will need to have some version of Windows XP installed on the computer in order to use the burned disc to update to SP3. There may also be newer updates that will need to be downloaded after using the disc.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should always have a full system backup, anyway, so you can restore when the hard drive fails, and they all will fail unless not used.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

4. raybro

raybro

In addition to the SP3 update as advised by cwwozniak plus Elvandil's wisdom of having full backups available to restore your system, I offer the following:

After you upgrade to SP3, you will still have a number of updates to install. Go to the normal windows updates site to view what updates are needed.

In a new browser tab, go the the Microsoft Update Catalog web site. If you have never visited the site, you will have to install a MS software before you can use it (similar to what you do on the normal update site)

Type (or paste from the normal update site) the KBxxxxx numbers in the search box and click Search

Select from the list the update appropriate for your OS (they are all listed, including servers) and click the ADD button. After you have all the updates you wish to download at one time added to the basket, click View Basket. A new window will pop up allowing you to browse to where you wish to store the updates (I put mine on my external HDD in their own special folder)

Now you can install each update whenever you choose to do so. Just open an update folder and launch the executable file contained therein. Next steps will then become obvious.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice