1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I backup without entering the OS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metronalee, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metronalee

Metronalee Thread Starter

Hi, I've been having Vista Problems lately, and I was wondering if it was possible to back up my hard drive without entering the OS. My computer is really new, so I haven't made any backups. I heard somewhere that there was a Linux thing or something I think that you could use if your hard drive died or if your OS died.

2. bigbear

bigbear

You need third party software that will make an image of your drive to another drive.
    I use Acronis True Image (IMO the best on the market)
    Once the image is made you can set-up ATI to make regular backups, if your main drive should die or become corrupted you can reinstall the the drive up to the last backup in 15 minutes

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since you're already having problems, I don't see the point in taking a backup image. You wouldn't want to restore an image that isn't working properly.

You would connect the drive to another computer and simply copy your files off.

4. Metronalee

I need to backup files, not the image.
    I tried SimplyMepis, but it says that it can't find a file or something. Is there a program that I could use that would be similar to that?

5. Metronalee

Or should I use the 64bit version of Mepis, given that I have Dual-Channel Ram and a Quad Coer CPU?

6. CapriAnupam

CapriAnupam

There are certain Linux distros which will require you to mount the hard disks manually, and some distros would mount the hard disks by default. I used knoppix and it would mount by itself. So you can try that.

7. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Correct! You can use a Linux live CD or DVD (The OS loads from the removable media and does not install anything on your hard drive nor alters its contents) and backup up from there. Worked for me, it's a quite easy procedure. The only drawback is that you have to manually backup your data (aka copy & paste or manually recording to CDs).

Ubuntu is a really user friendly Linux destro and comes with CD/DVD recording software preinstalled. It also automatically detects your drives, both fixed and removable:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice