1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I be able to use Windows 7 64bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Phamalam, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phamalam

Phamalam Thread Starter

Ok basically i have:

CPU: Intel Pentium E2160 @ 1.80 GHz
    RAM: 2gb DDR (PC2-5300), 333 MHz

I am currently running on windows Vista at 32bit

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

I doubt it

3. Phamalam

Phamalam Thread Starter

Ok then in that case. will it work if i get a intel quad core Q6600 and 4gb RAM?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Look at the spec's of the mother board, it needs to be a 64 bit motherboard.

5. Phamalam

Phamalam Thread Starter

Manufacturer Packard Bell BV
    Model APL00
    Version PCB 1.X
    Serial Number C7R8108321

North Bridge NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Revision A2
    South Bridge NVIDIA nForce 630i Revision A2

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz
    Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 3 PCI

Memory Summary
    Maximum Capacity 1024 MBytes
    Maximum Memory Module Size 32 MBytes
    Memory Slots 2
    Error Correction None

Where does it say i am a computer noob

6. Saifee

Saifee

7. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

According to Intel, the E2160 uses a 64-bit instruction set. "The E2160 supports the Intel 64 extensions, being based on the newer, 64-bit Allendale core with Core microarchitecture." Your motherboard and RAM limitations are another issue altogether. FWIW, you would see very little if any performance difference with 64-bit over 32 bit.

8. Phamalam

Phamalam Thread Starter

So even if i upgrade my ram to 4gb and buy a q6600 quad cpu, my motherboard isn't made for supporting 64 bit.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You're going to drop $300+ on an old, out-dated computer and hope it all works and end up with a slightly less old, out-dated computer. It doesn't make any sense.

10. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

Yeah, sorry but if the spec says, "Maximum [memory] Capacity 1024 MBytes" that means ONE gigabyte. Stick more in and it may not even start up. Packard Bell motherboards are a bit notorious for being cheapos with major limitations. If you want something better, you'll probably get the best deal with a new computer that has what you want pre-installed. FWIW, when I gamed I put my most of my money into the video card, and always outran friends who put their money in their CPU.

11. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

I agree with the other posters regarding spending $$$ for nothing.

Quick question: Have you already bought your Win7 software?
    The reason I ask is, if you did not already buy it, good, with the $$$ you are willing to spend upgrading an older machine + the $$$$ spent on the Win7 software, you could put that $$$ towards buying a Brand new Win7 machine and I will bet that you either break out even or you might have to kick 1 to 2 hundred dollars tops.

Good luck
    Ray

12. Phamalam

Phamalam Thread Starter

Yeah i guess my machine is too crap the only reason for me to upgrade it is to atleast play games without it freezing so much. My friend gave me a zotac 210 512mb video card to see if it would make and significant diference, but the only thing that occurs is that my desktop gets englarge most likely due to the fact that my version of vista is 32 bit i assume... I dont really want to splash out lots of money for a new computer since i am a student. But judging to everyone comment its a hopeless cause. Thanks

13. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

Your machine is not "crap" but it is less expensive with fewer features than many others. If the desktop just got "large" with the Zotac card maybe you did not load the drivers for it and set the resolution to something higher? (It is not the OS causing any problem on that.) In MANY cases, game performance is FAR more affected by the video card than the CPU and motherboard.

14. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Good point FijiJohn and as FijiJohn says Phamalam, if you can get that card to work it should help with your games.

Best of luck
    Ray

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice