1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I burn a new copy of Win 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Alexb123, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alexb123

Alexb123 Thread Starter

Hi All,

Having a nightmare with Win 8 :( First time I installed it kept crashing so I've started again and now windows updates won't install. It keeps saying "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer when you try to install Windows Updates"

I'm thinking maybe the original disc is corrupt it does have a scratch on it. So am I able to download a copy of win8 and burn it to my own DVD?

Any help would be great this is driving me mad :)

2. valis

valis Moderator

where did you get the install disk from? Can't you just exchange it for one that isn't damaged?

3. Alexb123

Alexb123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I got it from PC World. I could exchange it but it would be an hour and half round trip so I'm trying to avoid it.

Also, I'm not totally sure that this is the problem I'm just guessing at the moment.

4. valis

valis Moderator

peronsally, I'd take it back to pc world......not entirely sure you can d/l W8 legally.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    They won't take it back, it's be used and activated. You can obtain new media from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

However I doubt that's the problem if it installed without file copy errors. The problem may be with your computer. Have you ensured that it's compatible with Windows 8? Was it a clean install or an upgrade? What are the complete and detailed specs of your computer?

6. Alexb123

Alexb123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not fully sure on the compatability. Micrososft when I called them didn't pic it up as an issue but then again I don't think they checked. This is the full spec:

Chillblast Fusion Shadow
    Xigmatek Asgard Black Case
    Intel Core i5 2500K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.6GHz
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler
    Generic thermal paste
    Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard
    4GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 2GB sticks)
    Chillblast AMD Radeon HD 6670 1024MB Graphics Card
    Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive
    EZCool Basic 500W PSU
    Asus Xonar DS 7.1 PCI Sound Card
    No Operating System Required

The only change has been it now runs on an SSD.

:)

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well I see a few things you probably should change. First is the overclocking, if you are having any stability issues the first thing you should do is remove any overclocking and run everything at stock. After doing so format and reinstall Windows again to remove any file corruption that may already be present.

Next is your power supply, it's junk. If you want to keep your PC for a while I'd invest in a quality power supply and possibly one with a higher rating as well. Corsair, Antec, Thermaltake, Seasonic are good brands but also avoid their entry level units as they are for entry level office computers.

The motherboard is compatible with Windows 8, but make sure you are using the drivers & software from the Asus website and not the CD as those will be newer. You may also want to update the BIOS to the latest version, Asus list stability fixes and USB fixes in several of the updates: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_LE/#download

What SSD do you have? Have you ensured it has the latest firmware? SSD's are still pretty new and causing numerous problems for some users.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice