1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I buy a longer-life replacement battery for my laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wgreene, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba laptop (Satellite L335D-S7825) which has a #PA3536U-1BRS Li-ion battery pack (DC10.8V/10.8V -- 4000mAh). At full charge I'm lucky to get two hours. I see that many new batteries are rated up to as much as eight hours or more.

Questions:

Is it even possible to buy such a long-life battery for my Toshiba, or am I stuck with a two-hour machine? I found some 4600mAh batteries that should fit my laptop, but would they provide more than two hours of usage? Can I find one rated higher than 4600mAh? Do Li-ion batteries have the longest life, or is there a new technology that has surpassed it? If so, would my laptop take anything other than Li-ion?

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who can offer me sound advice.

Thank you very much.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There are some laptops for which higher-capacity batteries are offered from some after-market parts suppliers. Then there are the laptop makers who offer a standard or high-capacity battery for certain laptops. I had a Compaq R3000Z that used either a 4400 or 6600 mAH. I bought the 6600 when I ordered the computer new and then got the 6600 replacement from an after-market supplier as a replacement several years later. The 6600 always carried me for just over two hours. The higher the mAH, the longer the run time.

I currently have a Dell Latitude E520. There is only one battery available for it that I know of for the standard battery bay; but, there is also a media-bay battery available for it. You remove the DVD drive and insert the media-bay battery in its place. It about doubles the run time.

I get my batteries from e-bay and www.battdepot.com

You can get some great deals on e-bay; but, I recommend you stick with top-rated sellers to avoid second-rate service and misbranded batteries. Even with top-rated sellers, you can sometimes get less-than-stellar service. I recently ordered a battery from LaptopZ-Outlet on e-bay. They showed a battery with seven end caps in the picture. These end caps were for several models of laptops. The battery I got had only one end cap and it was the wrong color and didn't fit my laptop. I wrote them several times about this and their canned answer was always "Sorry, only one end cap per battery." and refused to send additional end caps. I told them I would post less-than-positive feedback if they didn't correct this but they still refused--until the "Neutral" feedback was posted and then they were all up in arms trying to get me to change it.

I simply told them they had plenty of opportunities to correct this and just like their answer was repeatedly unchangable before, mine is unchangable now.

It was a good battery but; I had to take $20 off the laptop when I sold it because of the unsightly end cap.

3. bigbear

bigbear

You possibly have a six cell battery which normally comes as standard with a laptop.
    You require a Li-Ion nine cell battery which give between 4/12 hours depending on usage.
    And yes Li-Ion are the best batteries at the moment
    http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=366630

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

5. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you one and all for your suggestions:)

For what it's worth, I misstated the model no. of my Toshiba laptop. It's L355D-S7825, not L335D-S7825. Nonetheless, I remain somewhat confused by what I learned at both the Toshiba and Battery Depot websites.

For one thing, while I found hundreds of models listed at the Toshiba site, my particular model was not shown! I found seven Satellite L355D models listed; however, none of them ended with S7825. All I can figure is that the same battery -- Toshiba Primary 9-Cell Li-Ion Battery Pack (6000mAh) for $149.99 -- fits all L355D series laptops. Even so, why would my particular model not have been listed? Under Specifications I found the following: Battery Recharge Time (Off/On): Approximately 4.0 hours / 12 hours (depending on system condition). I don't care about the battery recharge time nearly as much as I care about the expected battery life per full charge. I'm simply looking for a battery that will last appreciably longer per charge. Although this replacement battery is rated at 6000mAh, as opposed to my 4000mAh original battery, the description states only that it "meets or exceeds the specifications of the original battery....." There doesn't appear to be any indication of expected battery life from a full charge. Incidentally, I recently bought a replacement battery for my Nokia cell phone. The Batteries Plus employee assured me that the new battery -- which, incidentally has a lower mAh rating than my long-lasting original battery -- would last even longer. Well, it doesn't. I would like to think that, logically, 6000mAh would provide half again as much time as 4000mAh, but I'm not yet convinced.

Assuming that this 6000mAh battery indeed does work with my laptop, can I reasonably expect it to give me a considerably longer usage time per charge than the paltry two hours or so I currently get with my lower-rated original battery?

Perhaps the main reason for my uncertainty and skepticism is that this is my first laptop, and my first time to consider buying a replacement battery,

Thanks again for your input.

6. Compiler

Compiler

You bought a 8lb. 17" notebook. two hours is typical max for such a notebook. if you wanted more time, then a 12~13" notebooks are able to get 8 hours because of smalelr screens, slower CPUs and no optical drive or modem. AMD mobile CPUs are not has good as intel with power management.

The 6000mAh battery will bump you up to near 3hrs... at best. No manufacture can give you an exact run time... as different notebook models, configurations, OS and usage will determine how long it will last. vista is worst for notebooks, Win7 is better but XP is still the best for power usage of current MS operating systems.

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

No one can guarantee run times. That is entirely dependent on your usage and many factors go into that like your selected screen brightness, how much your particular usage requires of the hard disk and processor, how much you require of the DVD drive, whether or not you are accessing a USB drive, your amount of installed memory, your type and speed of processor and the list goes on.

All other things being equal, any 6000-mAH battery will deliver 50% more run time than a 4000, maybe even slightly more than 50% as the slower the discharge rate the more run time you can get out of a battery, up to a point. But, that might be so little difference as to be unnoticable.

There should be some identifying numbers on your battery. If you use the correct number, you can search for your battery and get an exact replacement. That's usually how I buy batteries.

As for Toshiba's $150 battery, you will be paying a severe premium for the brand name. I have seen no indication that any battery I got from BattDepot was not equally as good as any from the computer maker.

Concerning the Battery's Plus guy's statement, here are the possibilities:
    • He made an honest mistake
    • He lied.
    • You misunderstood.
    Provided the batteries are new and not defective, no battery with lower mAH rating will deliver more run time (again, all other things being equal) than a battery with higher mAH rating.

It would be just as ridiculous to say a half-pound of lead weighs more than a pound of feathers.

8. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Well, you fellows have certainly clarified things for me. That high-priced Toshiba battery is definitely out. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay that much for a laptop battery under any circumstances. More than likely I'll continue using my laptop until the battery is no longer useable. At that point I'll consider either (a) finding an inexpensive replacement battery, or (b) getting a smaller laptop with a longer battery life.

Thanks once again.:)

9. Compiler

Compiler

Notebook batteries are never cheap. Always in the $80~150 price range. :(

10. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

:eek:Ouch! You're right -- that ain't cheap! On the other hand, if the batteries last at least, say, twice as long, then maybe that's not such a bad deal.

Thanks again.:)

11. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

As a side note...these batteries have a limitesd number of charge discharge cycles....The ideal charge is between 40 to 70 percent.
    While not practical to unplug when the battery reaches 70 percent we can keep an eye on how much we discharge it....draining it down all the way shortens the life dramatically....I get mine back on the wall when it discharges to 30 percent.

Reducing the brightness of the screen as much as you can stand it will go along ways on battery times..also video or gaming will eat it up fast.

The only way to get close to advertised times is with reduced brightness and and activities that dont work the cpu.

Also the power plan is a factor with being on battery you want a plan that runs the processor at half speed

12. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you very much for those helpful tips. I'll certainly change the way I use my laptop.(y)

13. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Anytime

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice