1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I change an individual file icon?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hashim1, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hashim1

Hashim1 Thread Starter

Hi there. :) I'm wondering, is there any way possible for me to change the icon of an individual file icon, without making that file a shortcut?

I'm running Windows XP, and the file I want to change the icon of is a Bootstrapper file, I'd like to change the icon for it so that not only does it change the icon of the file on mine, but that same file appears on all devices and computers with the same icon that I change it to.

Thanks, any help is much appreciated. :)

2. raybro

raybro

hello Hashim1, and welcome to TSG Forums...

Click here to go to a web site which has instructions to do as you want. Scroll down to the heading Change Icons for Regular File Types. This action will change ALL the files of that type you select resident on your computer, so its not strictly an individual file, but an individual file category or type.

I cannot say whether this change will transfer to other computers, but I kinda doubt it. It appears to be a function of the Operating System, so I'm pretty sure the change would need to be done to each computer. I could be wrong about that. You would have to try it. It would be interesting to know if it does or not.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the file type?

4. Hashim1

Hashim1 Thread Starter

See the main post, I mentioned it is a Bootstrapper file. :)

Raybro, atm it looks like that site only shows how to do it for default Windows files and folder, and the Bootstrapper file I need to change isn't a Windows file. But I'll have a try anyway and let you know how it goes.

5. raybro

raybro

That wasn't my experience with it. I changed the icon for Word, then changed it back. Seemed to work as stated. The majority of the article does deal with Windows files and folders, but I again direct your attention to the specific section entitled Change Icons for Regular File Types, which addresses files only.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Right click the file and click Properties on the menu.
    What does it say for "Type of File:"?
    Bootstrap files are often an XML, but it could be something else.

7. Hashim1

Hashim1 Thread Starter

Yes, but the problem with that is it it changes all instances of that file. I'm looking for saomething which allows me to change a single file only, without similiar types of files being affected, and also I want it to be a change which not only stays with my computer settings, but is actually part of the file itself, so wherever that file is, on whosever, that icon will still be there. Is there any way to do this?

When you get files from companies and professional sites for example, they will often have their own custom icon for the installer file. That's what I'm looking to do. How exactly do they do that, does anyone know?

It just says Application, oddly. :/

8. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

If it's an Application then it's a compiled file (a program) that contains several files such as scripts, dlls, images, etc.
    If the person (or company) that compiles the app wants it to have it's own unique icon, they include that as a resource within the compiled file.
    If they didn't include that resource, the app just takes on the generic Windows Application icon.

So I guess the short answer to your question is No, you can't give it it's own icon.

9. raybro

raybro

I agree with throoper. You can change the icon for ALL files for a given application, but not ONLY for selected files which require that application to run.

10. Hashim1

Hashim1 Thread Starter

Could I note use a resource editor/hacker program to edit the dll file to link to an icon I've made, something like ResHack?

11. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Probably not. Most likely the file doesn't have the internal files (icon or script pointing to it) that allows it to display it's own individual icon.
    ResHacker can change what's there (replace an icon or modify a script) but it can't add files to the compiled application.

12. Hashim1

Hashim1 Thread Starter

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. Surely a program/installer file would need to have all the files required, such as the icon file in this case, inside it to show the icon. How can it show an icon if that file is not included in a DLL or something inside it? Just find that odd tbh.

13. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I think I misunderstood you. I thought it was only displaying the Windows generic icon for Applications, which means it doesn't have it's own.
    If it has it's own specialized icon that it displays, then the files ARE there and ResHacker will allow you to change it to something different by replacing the current icon in the file with one of your choosing.

14. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

While I'm thinking of it, be sure to make a copy of the file before you try anything with ResHacker.

ResHacker partially de-compiles the file, then re-compiles it when you swap icons or other resource files.
    If it's a proprietary file, there may be security info in it that won't let you change anything and you may wind up with a file that no longer works.

15. Hashim1

Hashim1 Thread Starter

Brilliant, used ResEdit (a program I've found works better than ResHacker due to past ezperience) and changed the icon resource, saved, and it worked perfectly. :) Thanks to all those who have tried and have helped, much appreciated. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice