1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can i change my motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roh007, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roh007

roh007 Thread Starter

I have a intel d845glly motherboard on my pc. Can i replace it with a better one? If yes, plz specify the model.

2. Sponsor

3. pvc_

pvc_

Newer motherboards support newer technology, so you won't be able to use the same RAM, CPU, Graphic Card, Power Supply, ... or most of your other devices. Perhaps you could keep your old monitor.

If you wanna use the same old devices, then there is really no point in buying a new motherboard unless if the motherboard has gone bad. So, either buy a new pc or just forget about doing that kind of upgrade. The only upgrade that you can do to speed up this pc is probably a RAM upgrade. You currently have 512 MB and your motherboard supports 2 GB, do the math.

4. roh007

roh007 Thread Starter

I want a motherboard which has a nice integrated graphics and which is compatible with my pc box.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This isn't for your Dell Inspiron 1150 correct?

There almost isn't anything available for socket 478 motherboard anymore, they are quite old. And what did exist didn't have decent integrated graphics.

6. Compiler

Compiler

And intel's IGP (intergrated graphics) is still the very worst today.

If you want to improve your graphics abilities, buy a graphics card for $25~60.

As other s have said, your board is OLD and you'll have to replace everything. And if its a Dell, forget it... and if its a notebook, double-forget it.

You can buy a new PC for about $300~400 with 3~4GB of RAM and easily better IGP with modern PCIe slots. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175064&type=product&id=1218045567985

7. roh007

roh007 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice,Compiler.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice