Can I combine internal hard drives?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

#tbone

I have 4 internal hard drives on my pc. Pc has Windows XP Home. I want to know if instead of them reading as seperate drives ie: c: d: f: g:, i can have them all read as c:. Is that possible?

If they are actually different drives, then there's no way that I know of to combine them.

#tbone said:
I have 4 internal hard drives on my pc. Pc has Windows XP Home. I want to know if instead of them reading as seperate drives ie: c: d: f: g:, i can have them all read as c:. Is that possible?
yes there is, you go out and buy bigger hard drive. partition the drive 4 ways, clone harddrives to each partition, then combine partitions with a program like partition magic. but a side from that no it cannot be done.

Not to be a nit-picker,
Technically, you could do it, but as to how well XP Home would respond to a RAID JBOD(Just A Bunch of Disks) or drive spanning, I have no idea. Nor would I recommend it.

It's really a server class setup, not for the faint of heart or technically sqeamish folks.

Just figured I'd throw that out there, with the additional statement that I would not recomend it, as most setups in this manner are of the kind where if one of the drives failed, all data is lost type thing.:D

Just so you are aware of the possibility, but not that it's all that good of an option.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you run XP-Pro, you can convert them to dynamic disks and have them appear as a single logical drive. OTOH, I normally recommend against dynamic disks, since many disk recovery applications and drive imaging utilities don't handle them. I'd suggest you just live with the multiple drive letters.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online