1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can I connect 2 computers to my modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by notsavy427, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notsavy427

notsavy427 Thread Starter

I have Comcast triple play internet, phone and tv. I have a Arris TG862G/CT modem that has 4 ethernet ports on it. 1 cable goes from the modem and plugs into my computer. Can I run another cable to one of the other ethernet ports on the modem to another computer?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes

3. notsavy427

notsavy427 Thread Starter

Finally a direct answer. I had searched online and the answers were all over the place. Some said you needed a router, others said that modem is a router etc. etc. Thank you etaf!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome

A Router is a device that shares the connection between PCs, etc
    A modem is a device that decodes/encodes the telephone/cable signals to be usable by PCs (modem = Modulator Demodulater ) and only supports one connection - usually just one LAN connection or USB connection

A Modem/Router combination is now more common - A Modem & a Router combined into one unit

The fact that you said you had 4 LAN Connectons on the device meant it had to be a router to do that and as i suspect it connected to the ADSL/Telephone or Cable provider was also a Modem

Hence the straight answer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice