1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I connect monitor to serial port?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markraymond, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markraymond

markraymond Thread Starter

Jun 8, 2007
    I've just bought an old desktop but when I tried to plug in my monitor I found there was no db15 port to plug into. There's only two serial ports on the back, one has the IOIOI symbol and the other has a rectangular symbol. Does anyone know if I can connect a vga monitor to it?

I don't want to buy a cable and then find out it's no good!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Dec 9, 2004
    VGA ports have been standard for quite some time. However, it's possible that the old computer doesn't have a video card. There has to be a female VGA port to connect the monitor to.
  3. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Jan 23, 2003
    Depending on the age of the computer, if it has a video card installed, and the port looks similar to a serial port, it may be EGA or even worse CGA. I just parted out a computer that had a Genuine Hercules CGA adapter in it. We are talking old school here.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/805085