1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I control my router ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by abudahim, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abudahim

abudahim Thread Starter

i know how to manage my router settings using its built-in software through the ip address 192.168.1.1 . but I found that this software is not enougp to see what is going on on my network.
    for example i want to see who is connecting to my network wirelessly at the time and what data packets he is receiving and sending.
    Is there a way to install some software in the router to give me these kinds of information ?

2. gurutech

gurutech

You can enable the incoming and outgoing log file. That will keep track of who connected to your network (by MAC address), what IP they were assigned, and what IP addresses they went to and on what ports (www, ftp, etc...)

3. El_Glyndo

El_Glyndo

Guru,

I was about to post the same question, just as well I checked the forum first!

How do you enable these log files?

4. abudahim

abudahim Thread Starter

thanks guru.
    but is there a way to capture the data packets that the user receiving/sending through the router. because the log file provide me only the ip addresses. I want something like ethreal (Wireshark) installed on my router. how I can do it ?

5. abudahim

abudahim Thread Starter

if you have a Linksys router, you can login to the router setting page . then go to the Adminstration tab , then Reporting sub-tab . you can enable the log from there .

6. gurutech

gurutech

If you are looking to capture data packets, you will need to get a network sniffer.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since the wireless switch functionality internal to the router will not route addressed packets to the other client computers on the router, you'll only see broadcast traffic with a network sniffer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice