1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can I convert avi/mpg to dvd?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by slickoe, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slickoe

slickoe Thread Starter

even if I don't have a dvd burner? I only have a regular cdrw, but are there any shareware or freeware programs that will convert a movie file like an avi, mpg, mpeg, wmv or such into a dvd format or anything that can be played in a dvd player or reburned on my cdrw so it can be played in a dvd player? Thank you.

Compaq deskpro, Win98se, 192M RAM, 400 Mhz Intel PII, 10G HD, 1.6 G free, iomega 54X24X52 external CDRW (at 4X due to older style USB ports)

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Slickjoe
    First a bit of basics here.
    In order to burn a rendered and compiled DVD formatted file you would need a DVD burner and the rendered format must be Mpeg2.

AVI's are uncompressed video\audio files much like BMP's are to the still picture digital world. So an AVI must be rendered into either Mpeg1 (Lower resolution) or Mpeg2 (higher resolution) before it can be compiled into a burnable\playable format.

For instance Mpeg1 can be used to create what is called VCD (Video Compact Disk). This disk is a CD-R or CD+R that is playable on most home DVD players. VCD's can contain up to I believe 60 minutes of Video\audio.

Mpeg2 format can be used to create DVD and what is called SVCD's. Since you know what DVD's are we will not speak of them. However SVCD's are also CD-R or CD+R disks that are burned using a CD Burner as VCD's are but the quality\resolution is much greater and in SVCD's case only 30 minutes of video can be contained on one disk.

Nero Express is capable of Burning VCD's and SVCD's as are other burner software programs supplied with burners. I believe Nero 6.0 full package can burn DVD as well.

Dave

3. slickoe

slickoe Thread Starter

So how can I convert mpegs to these various other dvd player compatible formats? I found a site called snapfiles full of utilities, and found some "converter" programs like "easy video converter", "Xvideoconverter", "Blazemediapro", "avi to VCD"- are these the types of progs I seek? And since I do NOT have a DVD burner is it true that I can't produce a disk that will play in a dvd player?

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Slickjoe
    If your video is in Mpg format already it is probably Mpeg1 which you could use nero express to create a VCD as is.

One of the best sites I have found for instructions on creating VCD, SVCD, DVD, DVIX Etc. is DVDrhelp.com

There you will find many utilities some freeware and some shareware plus instructions for same.

Hope that helps.

Dave

5. slickoe

slickoe Thread Starter

Thank you. You are very helpful. But I don't have a DVD burner, just a CDRW. Can a CDRW burn a VCD?

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Slickjoe
    Yes CD-R\RW is what most people use for burning SVCD and VCD. I use both since I have a DVD burner capable of doing all.

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing.

Dave

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice