Can I convert my parallel-only port to USB?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zutano

My old but reliable PC (running Win98) has only parallel and serial ports. I want to get broadband for internet use, but have been told the USB modems won't work with parallel or serial ports.
I've seen cables on ebay that convert from USB to parallel, for printer use, but nothing seems to convert parallel to USB.
Thanks guys!

Bryan

Bryan
You can add a PCI card to add USB ports but there are no adapters to convert Serial or Parallel to USB. Serial and Parallel are too slow to support USB.

BTW, why do you need to buy a USB modem? There are plenty of cable modems that simply connect to a Network card using Cat5 cabling.

Triple6

Rob
The best thing to do is get an Ethernet based modem not USB. USB Modems are problematic.

Also, if the computer does not have USB its likely slow and an ethernet modem attached to an ethernet card would perform better.

If thats not an option you can buy a USB PCI that will add 2 or 4 USB 1.1/2.0 ports to any Pentium based computer.

ETHERNET CARD:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-180-004&depa=0

PCI USB ADD-IN CARD:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-104-201&depa=0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online