Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I convert old bitmap images to jpeg

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LONGHAIR 
#1 ·
Can this be done !! ?? i have old scanned photos that were saved as bitmap images ...can i convert them to jpeg, and is there a way to burn them on a dvd so i can play them in a regular player

#2 ·
A JPEG is also a type of 'bitmap'. It is a lossy compression scheme where you have some simple control over the compression factor. More compression=smaller file size=less quality and vice versa.

Yes, absolutely! You can easily convert your bitmap images to JPEG (a.k.a. JPG). There are all manner of utilities that do it from PhotoShop and Paint Shop Pro on down to ACDC, Thumbs Plus, and probably a whole bunch of free utilities available from Download.com or Tucows, etc. Your O/S might even do it with one of its accessory imaging apps. Let me know if you need more info please.

#3 ·
If they are of pictures your want to keep I would not compress then to jpg because it is a bad formant. If your going to keep the bmp images also then your always have the better bmp to use later. You may want to print or make your pictures later so to do that you need to keep a good format. JPG artifacts will make your pictures look bad.

Lots of great reading hear so bookmark this site.
http://www.scantips.com/

Image File Formats - Which format?
http://www.scantips.com/basics09.html

So for Photographic Images, The Best Quality for Archived Master is TIF or PNG
(no JPG artifacts)

#5 ·
In doing thing in my image program I am starting to use png a lot more.
I also find that it keeps the same colors better where saving in jpg your lose colors and detail more.
I really need to save in other image formats like PhotoImpact .ufo, Photo Shop .psd and PaintShop Pro .psp but your files are very big so not good for the web or email but you keep the images looking good and you can keep the layers etc on any work you do on the images so you can edit them again later easy. But you can have a 1.5 MB image that if you saved it as a .jpg your get it down below 200 KB or less.
You can down grade a image real easy but you can't upgrade them.

Gary's thread.
http://forums.techguy.org/t218282.html

#6 ·
A JPEG is also a type of 'bitmap'. It is a lossy compression scheme where you have some simple control over the compression factor. More compression=smaller file size=less quality and vice versa.
fzuccaro,
That is a rather misleading statement.
They (jpg & bmp) are both Raster images. The bmp is actually MicroSoft's version of Raster images. In as much as gif is a compuserve image. They all go about it in different ways, so that is a very vague term, a bit like saying that humans, dogs and cows are the same because they are all mammals.

They can all have their quality deliberately degraded, but jpg is a bit more intense about it. Jpg is a "lossy" format, meaning that it "compresses" the image every time you "save" it. Merely viewing it does nothing, but opening to edit and saving it again will reduce the quality again. Bmp and gif images do not change the image. They can have their color depth reduced, to reduce the file size, but the change is deliberate and only happens with the original change. It does not keep reducing the quality with future saves as jpg does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.