1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can I copy parts of DVD's?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bj nick, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I'm a teacher and over the years I've collected a few videos and DVD's that I use in my teaching. I would like to be able to create a DVD consisting of excerpts from these DVD's and videos so that they would be easily accesible.

I have a DVD burner, but I know nothing about this area; about copyright issues, if I can burn parts of the DVD as opposed to just copying, etc.

I would appreciate being educated on this- thanks!

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

Depends on the materials you want to copy. If you could be more specific that would be helpful.

3. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If copyright protected then NO, if not YES - legally speaking that is...

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

5. Digidave

Digidave

I could be completely wrong here, but I recall someone(in another forum) talking about it being perfectly legal if it is used for educational purposes.

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I don't know how to be "more specific;" I have some videos and DVD's from which I'd like to extract small sections for teaching purposes. In some cases, it's because I need to eliminate something off-color or inappropriate, usually language.

For example, a movie about Christopher Columbus I have used for years that shows the voyage in a colorful and exciting way, but smack in the middle of the sequence a sailor says something really risque. I have always skipped ahead, turned down the sound for a second, etc, etc. I have the same problem in other movies (I use a sequence in Spinal Tap, believe it or not, that illustrates a math principle, but I need to excise an F-bomb in the middle of it.

What I'd like ideally is to have a DVD that shows exactly the excerpts I want in a convenient and accesible way.

much of the material I'd like to use would definitely be copyright-protected; my usage would be purely educational.

Looks like DVD Knife might be a possibility; I'll give it a try.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427987