1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I dasy chain two routers over a wireless connection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by francesday, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. francesday

francesday Thread Starter

I am having difficulties with thick stone walls in my house and want to daisy chain two routers to connect several PCs and printers in different areas. This won't really work if I have to put the 2 routers close enough together to connect them with a LAN cable. They both have wireless capability as well as ethernet. Can I get them to communicate with each other wirelessly?

Frances

2. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

I haven't really heard of this, although I have thought of implementing it in a couple of our schools.

My suggestion is connecting the second router through an ethernet socket on your wall and configure it and connect a nearby wired computer to it.

That's what I usually do.

Although there may be some routers that do what you want to do, but I think they may cost a few $$$.

3. francesday

Unfortunately a lot of the reason for this is that the ethernet socket connection has broken and I thought wireless solutions would be cheaper than paying someone to fix a long length of embedded cable. I'm still experimenting, but I don't think it's going to be possible.

Thanks for the input

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some routers have wireless bridge (AP client) and repeater (extender) features; many do not. Check your user manual(s).

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it's pretty unlikely that the cable itself is bad, so you could probably fix the connections on the end. Remember, those "thick stone walls" are going to be a real problem for wireless in most cases. I'd fix the wire.

6. francesday

Hi

Well sadly I think it's quite possible that a mouse has been at the cable - I have checked out every aspect of each end at the sockets. However, thanks for the new jargon to investigate with my router - I don't have a manual for either of them, but there is online help that may point me in the right direction.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Manuals are readily available on-line for most routers and modems. Since I have no idea what you have, I can't be more specific.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice