Can I Delete All "User/local setting/temp files?"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stompster

I notice that in the c:\documents and settings\username\local settings that there is a TEMP and a TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES directory.

When I delete the temporary internet files in explorer let's say, the files are gone in the pathname above\temporary interent files.

My question is can I just go and delete the files in the TEMP folder manually as well? without damaging some other program applicaiton operations?

Thanks
Stompster

Yes, it's generally safe to delete the files in the user's temp directory. If a file in there is being used by a program you won't be able to delete it.

However don't delete anything in the temp directory if you're installing something, some programs will place files there necessary for the install.

Stompster

Appreciate the information. It makes sense, but thought I'd ask. I wonder why there isn't some utility to clean this type of thing up after an install?

Stompster

I've got Registry Mechanic from PCTools, but I've always been concerned to run it, as I don't really understand what the risk is to have this program scan and "autofix" registries. Sounds like it could be very risky.

Any experience doing this? Do you folks do this all the time? Occasionally?

And thanks for your responses!!

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Stompster said:
Sounds like it could be very risky.
Registry cleaners are in fact risky. They provide no performance benefit to the system, and do not (as advertised) fix errors.
If you don't know what you (the program) is doing, you can end up with a non bootable machine or applications that no longer work, or individual functions that no longer work.

As for anything that says it can "autofix" something, don't go near it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online