1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I delete Hotfix files?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fiatspider79, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fiatspider79

fiatspider79 Thread Starter

I have been faithfully allowing XP to fix its many problems with the auto update and I now have a healthy population of Hotfix files in my Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs listing.

Stupid question. Are these the stand-alone fixes that then can be deleted or are they now an integral part of the OS and if I delete one of them my framus coil will begin to smoke, the bubble drive will vibrate out of control and every hacker in the universe will be sent an email telling them that I am now fair game and can therefore be hacked to a painful death on the points of their acrid and bloody keystrokes-of-death programs?

Glenn

:rolleyes:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not sure if you are asking about removing them with add / remove programs or you are asking about deleting the subfolders under the windows folder. If you remove them with add / remove programs under control panel, then the hot fix or patch is removed. If you delete the uninstall folder under the windows folder, then you will no longer be able to delete the hot fix.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It appears in add / remove programs to give you the option of removing the hot fix / patch.

4. fiatspider79

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, the "remove" option is there and my question is if I "remove" the item am I un-installing the patch or am I just removing the file that created the patch?

My first computer was a 4K Radio Shack Color Computer and I learned to clean up the storage. It just makes me fearful to see a bunch of 6MB files just sitting there taking up space.

I defrag daily and spend a lot of time on housekeeping and it seems to pay off unless I do something stupid like remove a file that looks harmless but is in actuality a key part of something else.

Glenn

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes you are removing the hot fix / patch. If you want to delete the subfolder that contains the uninstall info, you can do that. Just remember you will not have the option of removing the hot fix / patch.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are using ntfs, there is no need to defrag every day. The ntfs file system is less prone to fragment. Even with fat32 once per week should do it.

7. fiatspider79

I'm just your basic paranoid, scizophrenic, manic excessive. Thanks for the advice.

One last question. (Promise).

Do you delete the subfolders? Would you recommend that I delete them or leave them alone? Or, in other words, how important is it to be able to delete them at some time in the future?

I know, that was 3 questions but they require only one answer.

Thanks again,
    Glenn

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would just leave them alone. I just leave the folders on my computers that have had hot fixes applied. I generally do not apply all of the security fixes since I use two hardware firewalls [routers] All anyone ever sees is the router not your computer. In many years I have never had a virus or anything like that so I guess it is working.

9. PlatinumDrag

PlatinumDrag

If you remove them then your removing the patch all together. The patches are not files when you get the downlaods from MS they open automatically and install. There is no file or exe to remove once this is done.

10. boyoh53

boyoh53

Fiatspider, you're lucky to get a reply, I ask a similar question on another big Spyware site and didn't even have the luxury of an acknowledgement in over 24 hours so I deleted it. :-(

11. fiatspider79

Thanks all
    Glenn

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!