1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I delete old update files ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ladyverne, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladyverne

ladyverne Thread Starter

Hello, I am running XP, Internet Explorer 8. Security Patch 3. My question is simply can I delete previous updates,hotfixes etc. as long as I have the most current ones installed ? They are taking up quite a lot of space.

Thanks,

ladyverne

2. Rockn

Rockn

Yes you can just delete them. If you ever want to uninstall any of the updates you deleted you will be out of luck.

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Yes, you can delete all the blue highlighted "$ntuninstall$" folders from inside the main C:\WINDOWS folder.

You can also delete the "log" files that have the same 6 or 7 digit number.

Do NOT delete the $hf_mig$ folder!

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to reclaim more hard drive space, do the following:

Right-click Recycle Bin, then click Properties, then move the slider from 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click My Computer, then click Properties - System Restore, then move the slider from 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Go to Start - Run, then type in %temp%, then click OK, then delete everything from inside that temp folder.

Empty the Recycle Bin, then restart the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035998